Subject: [TLS] Implementations for RFC4279, RFC4492, RFC4366 and RFC4347

From: "Georges Le grand" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:25:52 +0100

RFC2026 says:

... a candidate specification must be implemented and tested for correct
operation and interoperability by multiple independent parties and utilized
in increasingly demanding environments, before it can be adopted as an
Internet Standard.

I'd like to be informed if the above text has been applied to RFC4279,
RFC4492, RFC4366 and RFC4347. Is there at least, for each RFC,
two interoperable implementations have been developed

Sincerely,
Georges
_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls

---

From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:49:34 -0500

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 15:25:52 +0100
"Georges Le grand" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> RFC2026 says:
> 
> ... a candidate specification must be implemented and tested for
> correct operation and interoperability by multiple independent
> parties and utilized in increasingly demanding environments, before
> it can be adopted as an Internet Standard.
> 
That appplies to Draft and Full standards, per Sections 4.1.2 and 4.1.3
of RFC 2026. TLS is, as I recall, only at Proposed Standard (4.1.1).

		--Steve Bellovin, http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb

---

From: Vipul Gupta <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:35:12 -0800

Nevertheless, for RFC 4492 there are at least three independent  
interoperable implementations -- from Certicom, Microsoft and OpenSSL/ 
NSS*. I'm grouping OpenSSL and NSS together since they were developed  
by the same group of people at Sun Labs even though the code is quite  
different. For more information, check out http:// 
dev.experimentalstuff.com:8082/. If you have an implementation, I  
encourage you to test it out against the publicly available clients/ 
servers listed there.

vipul

*NSS is what's used by Mozilla/Firefox and several products from Sun,  
Red Hat and AOL that have their roots in Netscape products.