Subject: [TLS] IETF68 TLS WG summary

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 19:15:12 +0200

Transport Layer Security (TLS) working group met on Tuesday morning.

The main topic was TLS 1.2, which is progressing (although missing
some milestones). We discussed how to best handle algorithm agility
for signatures (in certificates and certain TLS messages), what to 
say about algorithm identifier parameters, and alert messages.

Eric and Joe Salowey presented drafts that add AES-GCM cipher suites
to TLS 1.2, one document containing RSA key exchange and the other
"Suite B" compliant ECC suites. There was consensus to adopt both as
WG documents (subject to confirmation on the list).  There was also
some desire to have clear rules when to adopt algorithm and/or profile
documents as WG items, so that similar documents backed by other
national governments would be treated fairly. The chairs promised to
make a first proposal for rules.

Yaron Sheffer gave a presentation on adding EAP authentication TLS.
This is not consistent with current EAP applicability statement, and
changing it needs more discussion with EAP community. There was
some interest from e.g. SSL VPN community.

GSS-API authentication for TLS was not presented, but it was observed
that there are similarities to EAP work. WG seemed to have interest
in this work, and discussion will continue on the list.

Eric gave a presentation on using TLS to derive keys for other uses
than TLS record layer (such as SRTP and SCTP). This seems desirable,
but needs to consider other parts of security association than just
the key. As few people had read the draft, this will continue as an
individual draft for now.

Best regards,
Pasi & Eric

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls