Subject: [TLS] RC2 examples

From: "Ron Teitelbaum" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:17:02 -0400

Hi All,

Does anyone have a play by play listing of bytes through RC2?  It would be
nice to be able to debug each piece as I go with a concrete example.

Thanks for your help!  (sorry for the spam on this list, keep up the good
work!)

Ron Teitelbaum
Squeak Cryptography Team Leader

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls

---

From: Mike <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 09:47:19 -0700

> nice to be able to debug each piece as I go with a concrete example.

I would suggest not supporting RC2 as it is used only in crippled
40-bit EXPORT mode.

Mike

---

From: Rodney Thayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 09:57:40 -0800

> Squeak Cryptography Team Leader

Hasn't RC2 been broken?  Wouldn't that suggest that new implementations
should not include it unless they have (carefully controlled) backwards
compatability requirements?

---

From: "Ron Teitelbaum" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 12:59:05 -0400

Hi Mike,

I'm implementing it so that we can support PKCS files.  PKCS5-RC2-128

Is this not necessary?  What formats are most CA's returning signed CSR's
in?

Thanks,
Ron

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, March 30, 2007 12:47 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [TLS] RC2 examples
>

---

From: Mike <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 15:35:47 -0700

> Is this not necessary?  What formats are most CA's returning signed CSR's

My response was with a TLS mindset.  In TLS, RC2 is used only in 40-bit
EXPORT mode, so it is not secure.  I don't know the status of 128-bit
RC2, although someone else has suggested that it's been broken.  Better
to use something more modern such as AES 128 or even 256.

Mike

---

From: [email-masked] (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 22:14:29 +1200

"Ron Teitelbaum" <[email-masked]> writes:

>Is this not necessary?  What formats are most CA's returning signed CSR's in?

"X.509 certificates" is the usual answer to this question.

Peter.

---

From: "Ron Teitelbaum" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 20:57:50 -0400

That's pretty funny! 

Yes indeed, and that is what I'm finding.  But I'm also finding encrypted
.PEM files.  Also I'm looking at PCKS-12 exported X509 certs.  It appears
that part of the file is encrypted by Microsoft using RC2.  

So if anyone has anything it would really be helpful.  A key and the results
of an expanded key.  A 64bit world and the results of a mix or mash.
Anything would be great.  I have the algorithm completed but in smalltalk we
start indexing at 1 not 0, so I think I have an offset problem somewhere.
It's hard to debug blind.

Ron
> From: pgut001 [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2007 6:14 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [TLS] RC2 examples
>

---

From: Dr Stephen Henson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 02:11:20 +0100

> It's hard to debug blind.

Yes the certificates in PKCS#12 files are commonly encrypted using RC2-40.

There are several usable RC2 implementations which you can use to debug
yours. One for example is in OpenSSL, see www.openssl.org.

Steve.