Subject: [TLS] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tls-rfc4366-bis-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 17:15:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Layer Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Transport Layer Security (TLS) Extensions: Extension Definitions
	Author(s)	: D. Eastlake 3rd
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tls-rfc4366-bis-00.txt
	Pages		: 22
	Date		: 2007-7-2
	
   This document provides documentation for existing specific TLS
   extensions. It is a companion document for the TLS 1.2 specification,
   draft-ietf-tls-rfc4346-bis-03.txt.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tls-rfc4366-bis-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-tls-rfc4366-bis-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tls-rfc4366-bis-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 14:52:53 -0700

>    draft-ietf-tls-rfc4346-bis-03.txt.

Given last week's discussion on this list about clarifying 4366 with 
respect to IDNs, I would hope that this document could be more than a 
"make it sound right for TLS 1.2". If there are areas of 4366 that 
need clarifying (and there are), they should be made in this draft.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: Brad Hards <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 21:53:21 +1000

> need clarifying (and there are), they should be made in this draft.
There might also be a case for some of those features being made part of TLS 
1.2 as core functionality (e.g. server MUST support) rather than being 
extensions/options.

I think it is worth retaining the extension mechanism (and that perhaps should 
be described in rfc4346-bis rather than rfc4366-bis), but if we aren't all 
going to switch to STARTTLS, then Server Name Indication is probably worth 
incorporating into TLS 1.2, and maybe the fragment length and truncated HMAC 
should also be considered.

Brad