Subject: [TLS] Client Certificate Protection

From: Philipp Gühring <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:47:30 +0200

Hi,

Are there any plans to improve the protection of the client certificates in 
the TLS handshake against eavesdropping? 
I believe that the client certificate should be encrypted in the TLS handshake 
to prevent identity theft.
I heard rumors that it should be possible to encrypt the client certificate in 
the TLS Handhake, but I couldn´t find any hints in the specification. 
Is it possible to package the Certificate message into a Encryption message?
Some people are already tunneling a client-certificate TLS session inside an 
anonymous TLS session to prevent plaintext client-certificate transport, but 
I don´t like that workaround ...
Are there any good reasons for the client certificate to go unencrypted?

Best regards,
Philipp Gühring
PS: I couldn´t find any discussion about this topic on the TLS mailinglist 
archive. If I overlooked it, please point me in the right direction.

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls

---

From: Mohamad Badra <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 15:35:04 +0200

> archive. If I overlooked it, please point me in the right direction.

Hi Philipp,

As you cited in your mail, you can run a TLS handshake with only server 
authentication and then rehandshake with mutual authentication.
I already submitted another proposition available at 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hajjeh-tls-identity-protection-01.txt, 
and we had a discussion on this topic; available at  
http://www.imc.org/ietf-tls/mail-archive/msg05740.html

Best regards,

-- 
Mohamad Badra
CNRS - LIMOS Laboratory