Subject: Re: [TLS] WGLC for draft-ietf-tls-ecdhe-psk-01

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 20:24:44 +0200 (CEST)

Dear all,

In my turn, I propose (ala Pasi style) the following briefing of my
proposal for addressing the WGLC comments for draft-ietf-tls-ecdhe-psk-01
(point 1), and of (point 2) the new ciphersuites (with SHAnnn and AES-GCM
available at
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/current/msg02687.html

Please don't hesitate to send your comments.

1. comments

1.1. <Alfre Haenes>
> To accomodate the expected state of the TLS specifications upon
> the desired publication of this draft as an RFC, I recommend to
> perform the following additions/changes to this draft before
> forwarding it to the IESG:
>
>    - add an applicability statement for TLS revisions

If the cipher suite discussed at the mailing list [1], will not be added,
the following "Applicability Statement" sub-section will be added to the
introduction:

"The ciphersuites defined in this document can be negotiated, whatever the
negociated TLS version."

>    - demote [RFC4346] to Informative,

RFC4346 is used as reference only in Security Considerations section.

Action: I will remove it.

>    - add new Normative Ref. to RFC 5246, and

OK

>    - replace most uses of [RFC4346] by the pointer to the latter
>      (keep ref. [RFC4346] for text specific to TLS 1.1)

OK

1.2. <Pasi Eronen>
> The document is simple and looks good. I have one editorial
> suggestion to improve clarity:
>
> In Section 2, the premaster secret involves two different secrets that
> are shared between the peers. To be totally clear which is meant at
> what time, it could be rephrased something like this:
>
>    The premaster secret is formed as follows.  First, perform the ECDH
>    computation as described in Section 5.10 of [RFC4492]. Let Z be the
>    octet string produced by this computation. Next, concatenate a
>    uint16 containing the length of Z (in octets), Z itself, a uint16
>    containing the length of the PSK (in octets), and the PSK itself.
>
>    This corresponds to the general structure for the premaster secrets
>    (see Note 1 in Section 2 of [RFC4279]), with "other_secret"
>    containing Z.

OK, I will update the text.

2. The new ciphersuites
----------------------------

The proposed ciphersuites are discussed at
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/current/msg02687.html

It seems that Eric doesn’t support adding those ciphersuites to the
document nor to a seperate one.
Pasi and Uri think that those may be added, if required, but to the same
document.

Please don't hesitate to say your opinion regarding this point.
Alternatively, I kindly ask the co-Chairs to give the final decision in
order to submit an updated version.

Thank you.
Best regards,
Badra
_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls