Subject: [TLS] Fwd: draft-badra-tls-password-ext and challenge/response schemes

From: Nathaniel W Filardo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 17:27:17 -0400

I originally sent this to the I-D author but have not recieved a response in
the interim.  Reflecting further, I thought that perhaps the list would know
the answer, thus this email. :)
Thanks,
--nwf;

----- Forwarded message from Nathaniel W Filardo <[email-masked]> -----

Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 06:12:41 -0400
From: Nathaniel W Filardo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: draft-badra-tls-password-ext and challenge/response schemes
User-Agent: Mutt/1.5.17 (2007-11-01)

Salutations.

I was thinking about how to secure TLS with S/Key and wasn't able to find an
immediate solution (though if you know of one, it could render my question
moot).  I happened across your Internet Draft and, after reading through it,
I wondered if changing

>   Servers that receive an extended hello containing a "password" 
>   extension MAY agree to authenticate the client using passwords by 
>   including an extension of type "password", with empty 
>   "extension_data", in the extended server hello.

to allow servers to specify some kind of textual data in the
"extension_data" field would be sufficient?  The server could then provide,
e.g., the S/Key challenge to the client this way.

Is this a silly thought?
Thanks much for your time.
--nwf;

----- End forwarded message -----
_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls

---

From: Badra <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 01:59:53 +0200

Hello,

Sorry I didn't have this mail in my inbox, however, if you want to send non
empty extension by the server so you need to allocate a code for each
password based authentication (OTP, Token, etc.) which isn't the case of the
document to allow to the client to select the appropriate one. In addition,
the S/Key will require extra message to be exchanged, won't?

Regards,
Badra
2008/7/29 Nathaniel W Filardo <[email-masked]>

-- 
Badra