Subject: Re: [TLS] TLS Protocol Version

From: "Blumenthal, Uri - 0662 - MITLL" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 14:09:04 -0500

I don't know if PSK can fly in the wider Internet environment - but Peter is quite correct regarding mutual authentication and its absence when certs are used. It would be a good idea to incorporate mutual auth (assuming this protocol change could be "digested").

----- Original Message -----
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>; [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Sent: Fri Nov 20 01:37:39 2009
Subject: Re: [TLS] TLS Protocol Version

<[email-masked]> writes:

>BTW, there's another common renegotiation case where a "low-hanging fruit"
>(trivial-to-implement solution known not to cause interop problems with
>broken servers) exists: changing from server-only authentication to mutual
>authentication (with certificate-based cipher suites).

What TLS does with certificates isn't mutual authentication, it's
unidirectional authentication in both directions.  TLS-PSK provides true
mutual authentication.  So perhaps the fix is to encourage people to switch to
TLS-PSK, which as a side-effect would do a great deal to address the phishing
problem as well.

Peter.
_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls