Subject: [TLS] Alternative to continuing the handshake hash

From: Michael D'Errico <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 11:29:25 -0800

One proposal for solving the renegotiation problem is to
just continue the handshake hash from one handshake to the
next.  This would be a problem for me since my code keeps
all of the handshake messages in a list and computes hashes
of them at the appropriate times.  If we were to continue
hashes indefinitely through all renegotiations, I'd have a
problem of keeping around an ever-growing list of handshake
messages (or I'd have to rewrite my code to keep a running
hash).

One way to incorporate this idea and be more compatible for
my own code would be to seed the handshake message list for
a renegotiation with the *hash* of the previous handshake
messages.  This hash would be placed first in the list before
ClientHello.

The specification for this would need to make sure to include
both Finished messages, even though the last Finished message
is currently never included in the hash.

Mike