Subject: [TLS] I-D Action:draft-mrex-tls-secure-renegotiation-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2009 13:45:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : Transport Layer Security (TLS) Secure Renegotiation
	Author(s)       : M. Rex, S. Santesson
	Filename        : draft-mrex-tls-secure-renegotiation-03.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2009-12-01

A protocol design flaw in the TLS renegotiation handshake leaves all
currently implemented protocol version of TLS (SSLv3 to TLSv1.2)
vulnerable to Man-in-the-Middle (MitM) attacks where the attacker can
establish a TLS session with a server, send crafted application data
of his choice to the server and then proxy an unsuspecting client's
TLS handshake into the TLS renegotiation handshake of the server. 
Many applications on top of TLS see the data injected by the attacker
and the data sent by the client as a single data stream and assume
that an authentication during the TLS renegotiation handshake or
contained in the client's application data applies to the entire data
stream received through the TLS-protected communication channel.

This document describes a protocol change for all protocol versions
of TLS plus SSLv3 that will fix this vulnerability for all
communication between updated TLS clients and updated TLS servers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-mrex-tls-secure-renegotiation-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: Martin Rex <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 02:23:42 +0100 (MET)

> 	Filename        : draft-mrex-tls-secure-renegotiation-03.txt

I'm sorry for making two updates today.
I fixed the fixed octet string representation of the data that
goes into the (Extended)ServerHello in order to represent the
TLS extension.  I also changed the newly added TLS extension
to be empty instead of containing a single-valued enum.

For those who have not used the tools provided by the IETF archive,
there is an online diff available to compare revisions of a document:

Entry-point for my draft is here:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mrex-tls-secure-renegotiation-03

The [Diff1] and [Diff2] show you the difference to the previous
revision of the draft.

-Martin

PS: For the TLS WG document this would be

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tls-renegotiation-01