Subject: [TLS] Testing consensus for adding curve25519 to the EC named curve registry

From: Adam Langley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 19:20:42 -0500

We would like to start testing EC DHE in order to give our users
forward-secrecy.

In order to do this cheaply, one of the curves that we would like to
test with is curve25519[1]. There are several implementations of it
[2][3][4] and it's 3-4x faster than NIST's p256 (as implemented in
OpenSSL), while being constant-time.

Curve25519 doesn't currently appear on IANA's list of named curves[5]
and we would like to see it included.

As a first step I'd like to ask if there are any objections?

Cheers

AGL

[1] http://cr.yp.to/ecdh/curve25519-20060209.pdf
[2] http://cr.yp.to/ecdh.html
[3] http://code.google.com/p/curve25519-donna/
[4] http://bench.cr.yp.to/results-dh.html
[5] http://www.iana.org/assignments/tls-parameters/

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 09:58:38 -0500

I do not object to an additional code point being registered as long as
there is a document to explain how it works.  However, I also want to
understand the intellectual property issues, if any.  People have been
slow to adopt elliptic curve crypto due to intellectual property
concerns, which has prompted at least one document
(http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-mcgrew-fundamental-ecc-02.txt) on the topic.

Russ

---

From: "Rob P Williams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 10:20:55 -0500

Hi,

You don't need to involve IANA if you just follow RFC 4492...

Section 5.1.1:

  Values
      0xFF01 and 0xFF02 indicate that the client supports arbitrary
      prime and characteristic-2 curves, respectively (the curve
      parameters must be encoded explicitly in ECParameters).

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Russ Housley
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 9:59 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [TLS] Testing consensus for adding curve25519 to the EC
named curve registry

(http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-mcgrew-fundamental-ecc-02.txt) on the
topic.

Russ

> [5] http://www.iana.org/assignments/tls-parameters/
_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls

---------------------------------------------------------------------
This transmission (including any attachments) may contain confidential information, privileged material (including material protected by the solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute non-public information. Any use of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender and delete this information from your system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this transmission by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.