Subject: [TLS] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC4492 (2392)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 12:55:56 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC4492,
"Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) Cipher Suites for Transport Layer Security (TLS)".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=4492&eid=2392

--------------------------------------
Type: Editorial
Reported by: Brian Smith <[email-masked]>

Section: 5.2

Original Text
-------------
The server's Supported Point Formats Extension has the same structure
as the client's Supported Point Formats Extension (see
Section 5.1.2).  Items in elliptic_curve_list here are ordered
according to the server's preference (favorite choice first).  Note
that the server may include items that were not found in the client's
list (e.g., the server may prefer to receive points in compressed
format even when a client cannot parse this format: the same client
may nevertheless be capable of outputting points in compressed
format).

Corrected Text
--------------
The server's Supported Point Formats Extension has the same structure
as the client's Supported Point Formats Extension (see
Section 5.1.2).  Items in ec_point_format_list here are ordered
according to the server's preference (favorite choice first).  Note
that the server may include items that were not found in the client's
list (e.g., the server may prefer to receive points in compressed
format even when a client cannot parse this format: the same client
may nevertheless be capable of outputting points in compressed
format).

Notes
-----
ec_point_format_list is the field in the Supported Point Formats Extension. elliptic_curve_list is the field in the Supported Elliptic Curves Extension.

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC4492 (draft-ietf-tls-ecc-12)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Elliptic Curve Cryptography (ECC) Cipher Suites for Transport Layer Security (TLS)
Publication Date    : May 2006
Author(s)           : S. Blake-Wilson, N. Bolyard, V. Gupta, C. Hawk, B. Moeller
Category            : INFORMATIONAL
Source              : Transport Layer Security
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG