Subject: [TLS] Call for TLS Server-ID check reviewers

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2010 10:24:08 -0400

Hi folks,

As discussed in Maastricht, there is an individual submission,

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-saintandre-tls-server-id-check-09

which attempts to create a harmonized set of rules for verifying server
certificates out of all the various rules found in TLS-using protocols.

Obviously, this is highly relevant to the TLS WG, and in Maastricht
we agreed to (1) solicit reviews and (2) do a last call about a week
afterwards. I'd like to get at least 2-3 people from the email list who
weren't in Maastricht to agree to do reviews. The new draft is out
so it's time for this.

If you're willing to do this, please contact the chairs. Otherwise, I'll
probably solicit some reviewers directly :)

Thanks,
-Ekr

[As WG chair]

---

From: Ben Laurie <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 14:51:54 -0700

> probably solicit some reviewers directly :)

Great stuff. I'd be happy to review but note that next week is USENIX
Security so probably will not be able to do it in the next week.

>
> Thanks,
> -Ekr
>
> [As WG chair]
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> TLS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls
>
>

---

From: "t.petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 15:41:31 +0200

I do think that this is a very sad document, since it may queer the pitch for
what could have come after.

It used to be much smaller, and cover so much more - IP Addresses, e-mail
addresses, SIP addresses, etc as reference identities,  use by client as well as
server etc., greater use of wild card, ..... - and so offer much to the rest of
the IETF.

There may be an application using TLS for which this larger, but much reduced,
I-D is still appropriate, but I cannot recall seeing one in the IETF lately.

(As such, it reminds me of some of the would-be TLS extensions that have not
gained traction here).

Deep sigh:-(

Still, I will read it again to remind myself just how much skill has gone into
producing it  ........

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Rescorla" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2010 4:24 PM
Subject: [TLS] Call for TLS Server-ID check reviewers

> probably solicit some reviewers directly :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------