Subject: [TLS] Accept draft-turner-ssl-must-not-02 as WG item

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 11:06:49 -0400

In Maastricht, we saw a presentation on draft-turner-ssl-must-not:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-turner-ssl-must-not-02

The consensus in Maastricht was to adopt this as a WG item.
If anyone objects please speak up now.

Thanks,
-Ekr

---

From: Michael D'Errico <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 13:31:06 -0700

> If anyone objects please speak up now.

No objection to taking it on as a WG item, but I do have a concern
with section 3:

    3. Changes to TLS
       [...]
        o TLS servers MUST NOT accept SSL 2.0 ClientHello messages.

I still see many SSLv2 ClientHellos, and none of them are SSLv2-only
clients.  So at this point in time I think MUST NOT is too strong on
the server side.  I don't think using an SSLv2 hello is a security
problem since it supports the TLS_EMPTY_RENEGOTIATION_INFO_SCSV
cipher suite value.

Mike