Subject: [TLS] Minor comments on draft-ietf-tls-dtls-heartbeat

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 17:51:10 -0700

S 1.1.
"and their adoptions" -> "and their adaptations"

"as described" -> described

S 3.
"Like the ChangeCipherSpec message,.... can arrive at any time"

I guess a CSS can in principle arrive at any time, but it's not permitted at
any time. You couldn't send it as the first message of a connection,
for instance. I'm not sure there is a specific statement to this effect
in 5246, but it seems implicit in S 7.3.

"MUST stop the retransmission timer" -> "MUST stop the DTLS retransmission
timer" perhaps?

"HeartbeatRequest messages from older epochs must be discarded"
I would clarify that this is DTLS only since TLS has no epochs.

S 4.
You should probably clarify why the padding length is what it is.

S 5.1
We'll need to update the 4347 citation to DTLS 1.2

5.2.
"allows this check" -> "allows a check" perhaps?

"multiple round trip times"
You should probably recommend some multiple.

S 6.
Specification required is a pretty low bar for a field this small... Perhaos
Expert Review would be better.

-Ekr