Subject: [TLS] Protocol Action: 'Transport Layer Security (TLS) and Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) Heartbeat Extension' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-tls-dtls-heartbeat-04.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 08:01:24 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Transport Layer Security (TLS) and Datagram Transport Layer Security
   (DTLS) Heartbeat Extension'
  (draft-ietf-tls-dtls-heartbeat-04.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transport Layer Security Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Sean Turner and Stephen Farrell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-dtls-heartbeat/

Technical Summary

   The Heartbeat Extension provides a new protocol for TLS/DTLS
   allowing the usage of keep-alive functionality without performing
   a renegotiation and a basis for path maximum transmission unit
   (PMTU) discovery for DTLS.

Working Group Summary

   The is broad working group support for this document.

Document Quality

   The document has been reviewed by the transport area directorate
   and feedback from that review was incorporated into the document.
   Several implementations are planned to enhance the support for
   DTLS to protect management and other UDP protocols. 

Personnel

   Joe Salowey ([email-masked]) is the document shepherd.
   Sean Turner ([email-masked]) is the Responsible Area Director.