Subject: Re: [TLS] key sizes in TLS.

From: Peter Gutmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 05:10:57 +0000

Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <[email-masked]> writes:

>Overall my impression is that the DHE-based ciphersuites are pretty much
>neglected. 

They're preferred cipher suites for several browsers, e.g. Firefox and Chrome:

http://sim.ivi.co/2011/07/firefox-preference-of-tls-cipher-suites.html
http://sim.ivi.co/2011/07/google-chrome-preference-of-tls-cipher.html 

so they're not only not neglected, they're actively used.

>There are also optimizations that could be done (e.g., the server specifying
>the size of the generator's subgroup), but no-one ever bothered to update the
>protocol.

That would be very useful, so you could perform DSA-style checks on the key
parameters.

Peter.

---

From: Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 12:16:31 +0200

> so they're not only not neglected, they're actively used.

Actually in the links you post the ECDHE ciphersuites seem to be the
preferred choices. Nevertheless, I said that they are neglected, not
that they are not used. They are neglected because despite their known
issues, they have not been fixed.

regards,
Nikos