Subject: [TLS] Curve recommendations for TLS in draft-sheffer-tls-bcp-01

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 16:44:29 -0800

Joe and I have discussed this draft.

On the specific issue of the curve recommendations, we don't believe
that the TLS WG should be making TLS-specific EC recommendations
for two reasons:

1. The question of the best curves is something that applies more or
 less across the IETF.

2. The TLS WG doesn't really have the expertise to assess curves.

We will be reaching out to the security ADs and the CFRG to figure
out the best way to come to IETF-wide consensus on this topic
and will come back to the WG with a report once we have done
so.

-Ekr
[For the TLS chairs]

---

From: Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 10:09:37 +0100

> 2. The TLS WG doesn't really have the expertise to assess curves.

Well, while arguing about the "best" curves to use is indeed
controversial, but what if the draft is confined to list the curves
sufficient in terms of length? I.e., if it suggests the curves that
their length provides adequate security for today's needs. I think
that would help implementers and users of TLS without getting into
controversial issues.

regards,
Nikos