Subject: [TLS] TLS 1.3 Wish List Suggestions

From: Sajeev S <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 22:58:10 +0530

Hi Eric,

My self Sajeev, I have  over 7+ years of expertise in Testing SSL/TLS
protocol and PKI.

I read through the "
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/87/slides/slides-87-tls-5.pdf"

I have one suggestion for this "TLS 1.3 Wish List"

Can we add an TLS Extension field when we use TLS 1.3 as protocol version,
which will inform the Certificate key size bits to be used in the SSL/TLS
transaction.

As we move forward in the SSL/TLS security,the certificate key size bits
will play an important role.

Proposal----------->
1. Client hello will have extension saying that we will use 1024/2048/4096
public key bit size certificates
2. Server hello will send an extension which will decide which key size to
be used.

The above key size bit extension can be used for deciding both Server
certificates and client certificates.

 It is just an idea........need to analyse more because not only RSA/DSA
certificates will be used.
It also depends on which ciphersuite gets select..........if it is ECC
based or DH based.

we can also have the size for DH key.

For EC based we already have curve and point extensions.

Please let me know if it is feasible to add this functionality?

Regards,
Sajeev