Subject: Re: [TLS] Strawman on EdDSA/Ed25519 in TLS

From: Rob Stradling <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 11:02:47 +0100

On 29/05/15 22:18, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Peter Bowen <[email-masked]> writes:
<snip>
>> I'll donate a short OID to the cause if that will help move things
>> forward.  We have the 1.3.187 arc which is only three bytes DER.  If
>> someone has a smaller arc (third node would be 127 or lower) and would
>> offer an OID from their arc we can shave off another couple of bytes.
>
> Anyone?  I have 1.3.6.1.4.1.11591 but it is much longer.
>
> If you can allocate one OID for PKIX-EdDSA and one for PKIX-Ed25519 we
> have two values to work with for doing a PKIX EdDSA or Ed25519 draft.
> It is not clear to me which approach is best, and if you have room for
> two OIDs let have two different from the start in case people want to
> experiment with both.
>
> Thank you for thinking of saving bytes here! :-)
>
> /Simon

http://www.alvestrand.no/objectid/1.3.html

"1.3.114 - Check Point's registered prefix"

Yoav?

-- 
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist
COMODO - Creating Trust Online

---

From: Yoav Nir <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 13:46:50 +0300

> On Jun 1, 2015, at 1:02 PM, Rob Stradling <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

That’s interesting. I’ll ask around. It’s surprising to me, because every time in the past that I needed an OID, we allocated it out of 1.3.6.1.4.1.2620.x.

http://www.alvestrand.no/objectid/1.3.6.1.4.1.2620.html

I didn’t think we’d want 1.3.6.1.4.1.2620.4.1, so I didn’t speak up.

I’ll find out where this 1.3.114 came from, and why we’re not using it.

Yoav

---

From: Rob Stradling <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 12:25:49 +0100

On 01/06/15 11:46, Yoav Nir wrote:
<snip>
> That’s interesting. I’ll ask around.
<snip>

Thanks Yoav.

Another candidate to ask...

http://www.alvestrand.no/objectid/1.3.101.html
Thawte are a commercial CA (owned by Symantec these days), so I expect 
they'll want to use EdDSA for TLS server certs at some point.

101 could create some nice OID encodings for EC, Ed*, Ed25519 and Ed448. 
  :-D

$ echo "06032b6563" | xxd -r -ps | openssl asn1parse -inform der -i
     0:d=0  hl=2 l=   3 prim: OBJECT            :1.3.101.99
$ echo "06032b6563" | xxd -r -ps | xxd
0000000: 0603 2b65 63                             ..+ec

$ echo "06032b6564" | xxd -r -ps | openssl asn1parse -inform der -i
     0:d=0  hl=2 l=   3 prim: OBJECT            :1.3.101.100
$ echo "06032b6564" | xxd -r -ps | xxd
0000000: 0603 2b65 64                             ..+ed

$ echo "06032b6532" | xxd -r -ps | openssl asn1parse -inform der -i
     0:d=0  hl=2 l=   3 prim: OBJECT            :1.3.101.50
$ echo "06032b6532" | xxd -r -ps | xxd
0000000: 0603 2b65 32                             ..+e2

$ echo "06032b6534" | xxd -r -ps | openssl asn1parse -inform der -i
     0:d=0  hl=2 l=   3 prim: OBJECT            :1.3.101.52
$ echo "06032b6534" | xxd -r -ps | xxd
0000000: 0603 2b65 34                             ..+e4

-- 
Rob Stradling
Senior Research & Development Scientist
COMODO - Creating Trust Online
Office Tel: +44.(0)1274.730505
Office Fax: +44.(0)1274.730909
www.comodo.com

COMODO CA Limited, Registered in England No. 04058690
Registered Office:
   3rd Floor, 26 Office Village, Exchange Quay,
   Trafford Road, Salford, Manchester M5 3EQ

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and 
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are 
addressed.  If you have received this email in error please notify the 
sender by replying to the e-mail containing this attachment. Replies to 
this email may be monitored by COMODO for operational or business 
reasons. Whilst every endeavour is taken to ensure that e-mails are free 
from viruses, no liability can be accepted and the recipient is 
requested to use their own virus checking software.