Subject: [TLS] Remove signature algorithm from the cipher suite

From: Kyle Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 10:30:24 -0400

How about removing the RSA/ECDSA from the cipher suite, and making the
SigAlgs extension mandatory for connections requiring authentication?
That halves the number of cipher suites and eliminates an unnecessary
redundancy, while keeping the rest of the cipher suite negotiation
logic intact.

Kyle

---

From: Dave Garrett <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 13:01:08 -0400

> redundancy, while keeping the rest of the cipher suite negotiation

This is already a part of the current a la carte proposal that's been under discussion.

recent summary of changes:
https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/current/msg17156.html
current WIP text:
https://github.com/davegarrett/tls13-spec/blob/alacarte/draft-ietf-tls-tls13.md#cipher-suites
diff from PR #201:
https://github.com/davegarrett/tls13-spec/compare/alertsandcerts...davegarrett:alacarte

Both the supported groups and signature algorithms extensions are mandatory in this proposal, and they are the sole methods to select key exchange and certificates, with the ECDHE_ECDSA prefix being essentially frozen for certificate authenticated cipher suites.

Dave