Subject: Re: [TLS] TLS 1.3 - Support for compression to be removed

From: Bill Frantz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2015 21:56:39 -0700

On 10/8/15 at 9:43 PM, [email-masked] (Eric Rescorla) wrote:

>Yes, this is what I believe it says and what I believe the WG had consensus
>on, the reasoning being that we really wished to just remove the feature
>entirely. If the chairs declare consensus on something else, I will of
>course edit
>it to say something else.

I would love to support compression, but I don't hear any of the 
proponents suggesting a way to support compression that is 
immune to the the attacks that have already been fielded. With 
nothing safe on the table, I think compression has to be kicked 
up a layer.

It is possible to think of a parallel layer to TLS which only 
does compression and offers no secrecy features. This facility 
may solve the NNTP problem, but I am not qualified to say 
whether it can solve that problem or not. In any case, such a 
facility  may have many features in common with TLS, including a 
compatible initial negotiation, but it would not be a privacy 
protocol. It could include integrity.

Cheers - Bill

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Bill Frantz        | Truth and love must prevail  | Periwinkle
(408)356-8506      | over lies and hate.          | 16345 
Englewood Ave
www.pwpconsult.com |               - Vaclav Havel | Los Gatos, 
CA 95032