Subject: [TLS] OPTLS paper posted

From: Hugo Krawczyk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2015 18:37:23 -0400

The OPTLS paper (preprint) explaining the rationale of the protocol and its
analysis is posted here: http://eprint.iacr.org/2015/978.

The OPTLS design provides the basis for the handshake modes specified in the
current TLS 1.3 draft including 0-RTT, 1-RTT variants, and PSK modes (client
authentication is not covered). OPTLS dispenses with elements that are not
essential to achieve the basic cryptographic security of the protocol.
By following such a "minimalistic" approach, the OPTLS design provides the
flexibility of building different protocol variants that provide varied
performance trade-offs and security features. Some of these variants give
rise
to the current TLS 1.3 modes while others may be useful in the future. In
the
latter class it is worth noting the ability to obtain a protocol that
completely
eliminates online signatures while keeping most of TLS 1.3 unchanged.

The analysis part of the paper covers the basics of key exchange security.
More comprehensive analyses including validation of TLS 1.3 specifications
and
implementations is expected to be covered by future work.

We would like to take this opportunity to thank the TLS Working Group for
insightful discussions and invaluable feedback that led to this work.

Hoeteck and Hugo