Subject: [TLS] [Editorial Errata Reported] RFC7568 (4561)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2015 19:49:04 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC7568,
"Deprecating Secure Sockets Layer Version 3.0".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=7568&eid=4561

--------------------------------------
Type: Editorial
Reported by: Richard Petrie <[email-masked]>

Section: 1.

Original Text
-------------
Since it was released in 1996, the SSLv3 protocol [RFC6101] has been
   subject to a long series of attacks, both on its key exchange
   mechanism and on the encryption schemes it supports.  Despite being
   replaced by TLS 1.0 [RFC2246] in 1999, and subsequently TLS 1.1 in
   2002 [RFC4346] and 1.2 in 2006 [RFC5246], availability of these
   replacement versions has not been universal.  As a result, many
   implementations of TLS have permitted the negotiation of SSLv3.

   The predecessor of SSLv3, SSL version 2, is no longer considered
   sufficiently secure [RFC6176].  SSLv3 now follows.

Corrected Text
--------------
Since it was released in 1996, the SSLv3 protocol [RFC6101] has been
   subject to a long series of attacks, both on its key exchange
   mechanism and on the encryption schemes it supports.  Despite being
   replaced by TLS 1.0 [RFC2246] in 1999, and subsequently TLS 1.1 in
   2006 [RFC4346] and 1.2 in 2008 [RFC5246], availability of these
   replacement versions has not been universal.  As a result, many
   implementations of TLS have permitted the negotiation of SSLv3.

   The predecessor of SSLv3, SSL version 2, is no longer considered
   sufficiently secure [RFC6176].  SSLv3 now follows.

Notes
-----
TLS 1.1 was first drafted in 2002, but not published until 2006. Similarly, TLS 1.2 was drafted in 2006, but not published until 2008.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC7568 (draft-ietf-tls-sslv3-diediedie-03)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Deprecating Secure Sockets Layer Version 3.0
Publication Date    : June 2015
Author(s)           : R. Barnes, M. Thomson, A. Pironti, A. Langley
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Transport Layer Security
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG

---

From: Martin Thomson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 15:05:22 +1100

> TLS 1.1 was first drafted in 2002, but not published until 2006. Similarly, TLS 1.2 was drafted in 2006, but not published until 2008.

The date on the documents are indeed wrong.

I recommend holding for document update.

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 14:51:48 +0000

> I recommend holding for document update.

Done. (Not that anyone will update that RFC - I doubt
we'll want to un-obsolete SSLv3;-)

S