Subject: [TLS] -tls13-11: "directional keys" ?

From: =JeffH <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 11:03:40 -0800

In -tls13-11 section 7.2 [1] there is this..

   7.2.  Updating Traffic Keys and IVs

      Once the handshake is complete, ...

     [...]

      Once traffic_secret_N+1 and its associated traffic keys have been
      computed, implementations SHOULD delete traffic_secret_N.  Once the
      directional keys are no longer needed, they SHOULD be deleted as
      well.

..and it isn't clear to me what is meant by "directional keys" in the
paragraph above (that is the only occurance of the term I find)?

is the term meant as a forward reference to this table in S 7.3 and thus
to the notion of "client write key" and "server write key" ?

                  +------------------+--------------------+
                  | Key Type         | Purpose            |
                  +------------------+--------------------+
                  | Client Write Key | "client write key" |
                  |                  |                    |
                  | Server Write Key | "server write key" |
                                   [...]
                  +------------------+--------------------+

thx,

=JeffH

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tls-tls13-11#section-7.2

---

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 13:28:37 -0600

> to the notion of "client write key" and "server write key" ?

Yes.

-Ben

> _______________________________________________
> TLS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls