Subject: [TLS] Issue 472: Remove redundant warning alerts

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 15:16:39 -0700

https://github.com/tlswg/tls13-spec/issues/472

http://tlswg.github.io/tls13-spec/#error-alerts says:

  Therefore, warning alerts are not very useful when
  the sending party wants to continue the connection, and thus are sometimes
  omitted. For example, if a party decides to accept an expired certificate
  (perhaps after confirming this with the user) and wants to continue the
  connection, it would not generally send a "certificate_expired" alert.

It would probably be simpler to require that alerts either be warning or
fatal and that
the only warning alerts are the "Closure Alerts" specified in
http://tlswg.github.io/tls13-spec/#closure-alerts (or in some update
document)
rather than expect people to handle some warning version of the Error
Alerts.

Thoughts?
-Ekr

---

From: Dave Garrett <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 21:26:03 -0400

> rather than expect people to handle some warning version of the Error

Does any implementation actually do anything with the warning version of alerts in question? If not, then this sounds like a reasonable simplification.

Dave