Subject: [TLS] Oracle's plans for Java crypto (mostly TLS-related)

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 13:33:47 +0000

FYI: https://www.java.com/en/jre-jdk-cryptoroadmap.html

--
Senior Architect, Akamai Technologies
IM: [email-masked] Twitter: RichSalz

---

From: Peter Gutmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 14:13:14 +0000

>From that page:

  2017-01-17 DSA Increase the minimum key length for DSA certificates to 1024 bits.

Will Oracle also be announcing upcoming support for Windows 95, that
newfangled Linux thing that's just appeared, and 32-bit compilers?

  2017 H2 Diffie-Hellman For SSL/TLS, increase the minimum key length to 1024 bits.

They missed out:

  2017 For SSL/TLS, discontinue MSDOS and Windows 3.1 support.

(The first, and weakest, PGP key I generated, quarter of a century ago under
DOS, was 1024 bits, same as what Oracle is setting their minimum to next
year some time).

Peter.