Subject: Re: [TLS] Industry Concerns about TLS 1.3

From: Ryan Carboni <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 00:01:27 -0700

I've never quite understood what TLS was supposed to be protecting against,
and whether or not it has done so successfully, or has the potential to do
so successfully.

Well, I don't think anyone here even knows how to protect a mailing list
from multi-billion dollar threat actors so...???

Let me quote RFC 3526:
"The
   strengths of the groups defined here are always estimates and there
   are as many methods to estimate them as there are cryptographers."

But whatever. You people aren't even willing to do what the Germans did...
twice.

Personally I think TLS should be scrapped, replaced with a protocol without
negotiation, replace PKI with trusted notaries (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergence_(SSL) ), etc.

But, no one has been able to program anything correctly, not even
certificate authorities:

https://www.schrauger.com/the-story-of-how-wosign-gave-me-an-ssl-certificate-for-github-com

I'm not paying you people anyway. At least the protocol is theoretically
secure.

---

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 09:48:16 +0200

Hi Ryan,

people working in the security field know what features TLS provides and
those are highly valued since otherwise it wouldn't be used so widely.

I prefer to finalize the work on TLS 1.3 as planned. There are various
groups successfully working on their implementations and I am looking
forward to a well-attended Hackathon at the next IETF meeting.

Ciao
Hannes

On 09/29/2016 09:01 AM, Ryan Carboni wrote:
> I've never quite understood what TLS was supposed to be protecting
> against, and whether or not it has done so successfully, or has the
> potential to do so successfully.
> 
> But whatever. You people aren't even willing to do what the Germans
> did... twice.
> 
> Personally I think TLS should be scrapped, replaced with a protocol
> without negotiation, replace PKI with trusted notaries
> ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergence_(SSL) ), etc.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> TLS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls
>