Subject: Re: [TLS] early IANA code point assignment request for draft-ietf-tls-ecdhe-psk-aead

From: Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2016 22:16:13 -0500

Hi,

The current draft is only considering TLS1.2. TLS1.3 is only mentioned for
advocating AEAD.

Do you think we should add text that details how to proceed with TLS1.3 ?
If so what do you think of the following text ?

Comments are welcome!

Yours,
Daniel

   The assigned code points are only expected to be used for TLS1.2.
   TLS1.3 does not follow the same name convention.  Instead TLS1.3
   cipher suites are designated according to the AEAD suite as well as
   the hash function used.  The current combination of AEAD algorithms
   and Hash fucntion are already defined in TLS.1.3 so there is no need
   to add additional cipher suites for TLS1.3.

   Instead, in order to used the following ECDHE_PSK authentication
   method.  TLS1.3 uses a combination of the "key_share" and
   "psk_key_exchange_modes" extentions. "psk_key_exchange_modes"
   extension sets its mode to psk_dhe_ke.  The "key_share" extention
   contains a KeyShareEntry structure that carries the ECDHE parameters.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 12:31 PM, Ilari Liusvaara <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 04:22:59PM +0000, Xiaoyin Liu wrote:
> > Why does this draft normatively depend on TLS 1.3, even if the
> > cipher suites defined in this draft use the old syntax, which
> > TLS 1.3 no longer uses?
>
> I don't see any reason why it would normatively depend.
>
> If it claims to be so, IMO that is a mistake and such reference should
> be dropped (TLS 1.3 won't be able to use these anyway), or made in-
> formative, in case the text wants to make a passing reference to TLS
> 1.3.
>
>
> -Ilari
>
> _______________________________________________
> TLS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls
>

---

From: Ilari Liusvaara <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2016 08:07:47 +0200

> If so what do you think of the following text ?
 
That is, I think the dependency on TLS 1.3 should be downgraded to
informative (unless that has already been done).

>    to add additional cipher suites for TLS1.3.

Seems reasonable.

>    contains a KeyShareEntry structure that carries the ECDHE parameters.

I think 'used the following' -> 'use the' and first period should be
comma.

-Ilari

---

From: Daniel Migault <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 21:21:58 -0500

done.

Thanks for the review!

Yours

Daniel