Subject: Re: [TLS] WG call for adoption of draft-rescorla-tls-dtls-connection-id

From: "Tobias Gondrom" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 11:05:45 +0800

Hello dear TLS WG and chairs, 
>From my side a strong support for the adoption of this WG draft. 
There are many scenarios, especially in IoT where this draft is essential to
maintain the right security association. If we can achieve this, we can
dramatically reduce the number of new handshakes and roundtrips in low-power
scenarios and thus dramatically reduce power consumption. In battery powered
IoT scenarios this can help and dramatically increase the lifetime of a
device. (potentially up to a factor of 2-3 longer lifetimes). 
Therefore this feature is very important for the success of DTLS in IoT. 
Thank you and hope we can progress this extension as soon as possible, 
Tobias

> Should have included a date: 13 December 2017.
> On Nov 28, 2017, at 15:17, Sean Turner < <mailto:[email-masked]&gt>
[email-masked]>; wrote:
> 
> All,
> 
> In Singapore @ IETF100, there was strong WG consensus to adopt
draft-rescorla-tls-dtls-connection-id, but we need to confirm this on the
list.  Please let us know by X December 2017 whether you oppose adopting
this draft and why.
> Your chairs: J&S

References:

*
<https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tls/HyYluQWNy097nuwliE4QEinEnso>
[TLS] WG call for adoption of draft-rescorla-tls-dtls-connection-id
Sean Turner <[email-masked]>

---

From: yinxinxing <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 03:34:09 +0000

I also agree adopting this WG draft. This feature will help a lot to solve the NAT rebinding problems in IOT fields. Happy to see that there was a strong WG consensus on adopting the draft in Singapore.

Yin Xinxing

发件人: TLS [mailto:[email-masked]] 代表 Tobias Gondrom
发送时间: 2017年12月13日 11:06
收件人: [email-masked]
主题: Re: [TLS] WG call for adoption of draft-rescorla-tls-dtls-connection-id

There are many scenarios, especially in IoT where this draft is essential to maintain the right security association. If we can achieve this, we can dramatically reduce the number of new handshakes and roundtrips in low-power scenarios and thus dramatically reduce power consumption. In battery powered IoT scenarios this can help and dramatically increase the lifetime of a device… (potentially up to a factor of 2-3 longer lifetimes).

Tobias

> On Nov 28, 2017, at 15:17, Sean Turner <[email-masked]><mailto:[email-masked]&gt>; wrote:

> In Singapore @ IETF100, there was strong WG consensus to adopt draft-rescorla-tls-dtls-connection-id, but we need to confirm this on the list.  Please let us know by X December 2017 whether you oppose adopting this draft and why.

References:

  *   [TLS] WG call for adoption of draft-rescorla-tls-dtls-connection-id<https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/tls/HyYluQWNy097nuwliE4QEinEnso>
Sean Turner <[email-masked]<mailto:[email-masked]>>

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2017 11:51:08 -0500

Okay hearing no objections this draft is adopted by the WG.

ekr - when you’ve got time feel free to submit the draft with the name:
draft-ietf-tls-dtls-connection-id

> On Nov 28, 2017, at 15:19, Sean Turner <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> On Nov 28, 2017, at 15:17, Sean Turner <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 
>> All,
>>