Subject: [TLS] Thanks to Benjamin Kaduk

From: Paul Wouters <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 11:49:45 -0500 (EST)

I wanted to thank Ben for the outreach he did in the last six months on
the tls dnssec chain extension. It has been a difficult issue and I do
wish the outcome was different. But during this time Ben put a lot of
effort in trying to get the issues clarified and resolved both on the
list of offlist. He repeatedly tried to engage more people of the WG
and he made me feel that my opinions were not ignored.

I am going to think a bit more on how we as IETF could have done better
in this case, but I did want to share with the group that I think Ben
made a real difference in trying to get this document out.

Thanks Ben!

Paul

---

From: Nico Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2018 11:21:35 -0600

> made a real difference in trying to get this document out.

I'd like to second this.

I'd also like to state a mea culpa.  I did not understand the extent to
which this controversy would become a DoS on the WG.  Perhaps it would
have been better to not get involved and then later publish a better
version of the extension.  I can't be sure, but certainly avoiding that
large exchange of email would have been better.

Nico
--

---

From: Sean Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2018 09:38:37 +0700

> On Nov 9, 2018, at 00:21, Nico Williams <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

I would like to thank Ben as well.  He has done an exemplar job as AD.

I would also like to thank my co-chairs Chris and Joe.  Both Chris and Joe participated in a side meeting at IETF 102 as well as the virtual interim in September solely dedicated to this draft.

> large exchange of email would have been better.

As co-chair, I feel like I have not done the greatest job during this effort, as I noted at the mic at IETF 103.  I will repeat what I said at the mic - this was not my/our finest hour.

The chairs are trying to learn from our mistakes.  We are planning to have post mortem discussion with our AD as soon as reasonably possible to learn for our mistakes. If anyone wants to provide feedback please do so either directly to Ben (mailto:[email-masked]), us (mailto:[email-masked]), the IETF chair (mailto:[email-masked]), or the ombudsteam (see https://www.ietf.org/contact/ombudsteam/).

spt