Subject: [TLS] Alexey Melnikov's No Objection on draft-ietf-tls-certificate-compression-08: (with COMMENT)

From: Alexey Melnikov via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 05:28:33 -0800

Alexey Melnikov has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-tls-certificate-compression-08: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-certificate-compression/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I support publication of this document. One small question:

7.3.  Registry for Compression Algorithms

   The procedures for requesting values in the Specification Required
   space are specified in [RFC8447].

RFC 8447 doesn't define "Specification Required", RFC 8126 does. Is there a
more specific section of RFC 8447 that you can point to, as it is unclear to me
which parts of RFC 8447 apply here.

---

From: Victor Vasiliev <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2019 18:56:20 -0500

I believe the intention was to refer to Section 17 of RFC 8447 <
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8447#section-17>, as it contains details of
how Specification Required works with TLS-related registrations.  I've sent
out a PR to clarify that <
https://github.com/tlswg/certificate-compression/pull/32/files>.

---

From: "Alexey Melnikov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 15:53:54 +0000

On Thu, Dec 19, 2019, at 11:56 PM, Victor Vasiliev wrote:
> I believe the intention was to refer to Section 17 of RFC 8447 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8447#section-17>, as it contains details of how Specification Required works with TLS-related registrations. I've sent out a PR to clarify that <https://github.com/tlswg/certificate-compression/pull/32/files>.
Great, thank you.

> 
> On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 8:28 AM Alexey Melnikov via Datatracker <[email-masked]> wrote: