Subject: [TLS] I-D Action: draft-ietf-tls-batch-signing-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 09:48:50 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Layer Security WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Batch Signing for TLS
        Author          : David Benjamin
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tls-batch-signing-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2020-01-13

Abstract:
   This document describes a mechanism for batch signing in TLS.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-batch-signing/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tls-batch-signing-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tls-batch-signing-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Jeremy Harris <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 23:58:00 +0000

>    This document describes a mechanism for batch signing in TLS.

As a non-cryptographer, my immediate question is
"signing of what?"
-- 
Cheers,
  Jeremy

---

From: David Benjamin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 20:19:33 -0500

> As a non-cryptographer, my immediate question is

Whatever input TLS passes into the signing algorithm. :-P I'm being
somewhat flippant, but the payloads aren't necessarily anything coherent.
See RFC8446, which defines the signing payload for a CertificateVerify
message. It's not a coherent protocol entity, rather it's all the context
necessary to meet the protocol's security requirements.
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8446#section-4.4.3

Other drafts, like delegated credentials, define other payloads. (Although
it is unlikely anyone would actually want to batch-sign delegated
credentials.)

Perhaps "This document described a batched signature algorithm for TLS."?