Subject: [TLS] RFC 8744 on Issues and Requirements for Server Name Identification (SNI) Encryption in TLS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2020 14:57:13 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8744

        Title:      Issues and Requirements for Server 
                    Name Identification (SNI) Encryption in TLS 
        Author:     C. Huitema
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2020
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tls-sni-encryption-09.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8744

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8744

This document describes the general problem of encrypting the Server
Name Identification (SNI) TLS parameter. The proposed solutions hide
a hidden service behind a fronting service, only disclosing the SNI
of the fronting service to external observers. This document lists
known attacks against SNI encryption, discusses the current "HTTP
co-tenancy" solution, and presents requirements for future TLS-layer
solutions. 

In practice, it may well be that no solution can meet every
requirement and that practical solutions will have to make some
compromises.

This document is a product of the Transport Layer Security Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC