Subject: [TLS] Protocol Action: 'The Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) Protocol Version 1.3' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-tls-dtls13-43.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2021 09:17:48 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'The Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) Protocol Version 1.3'
  (draft-ietf-tls-dtls13-43.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Transport Layer Security Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Benjamin Kaduk and Roman Danyliw.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tls-dtls13/

Technical Summary

This document defines the DTLS 1.3 protocol, which is intentionally
based on the Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.3 protocol.  DTLS 1.3
provides equivalent as with TLS 1.3 security guarantees with the
exception of order protection/non-replayability.

Working Group Summary

This draft has been discussed at length on the mailing list and at numerous
IETF meetings.  As DTLS is based on TLS, much of the discussion already
occurred before work began in earnest.  The  DTLS-specific issues, e.g.,
adding the ACK content type, KeyUpdate mechanism, and DTLS key separation,
were discussed both on the mailing list and the at IETF meetings.  There is
broad consensus to publish this document.

Document Quality

This document has seen extensive review in the WG and is believed
to be high quality.
The major TLS implementations are expected to implement it if they
have not done so already.

Personnel

Sean Turner is the Document Shepherd.
Ben Kaduk is the AD.