Subject: [tmrg] Folding TMRG into ICCRG

From: Lachlan Andrew <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 12:57:01 +1000

Greetings all,

To streamline operations, it has been proposed that the Traffic
Modeling Research Group (TMRG) be absorbed into the Internet
Congestion Control Research Group (ICCRG).  The goals of the two
groups are closely aligned, and both groups could do with the extra
activity.

The main current activity of the TMRG is the development by David
Hayes at Swinburne of a TCP test suite, including an  ns2
implementation.  This will continue unchanged if it is absorbed.

If anyone has opinions for or against this merger, please discuss it
on the list.

If people approve, the remaining task is to modify the ICCRG charter
<http://irtf.org/iccrg> to include the tasks of the TMRG
<http://irtf.org/tmrg>.  That is helped by the fact that much of the
TMRG charter lists what it is *not* chartered to do.  Most of the
scope of TMRG could be incorporated into ICCRG by changing the ICCRG
charter to replace
   "It is difficult therefore to compare like with like."
by
   "It is difficult therefore to compare like with like.  One goal of
the ICCRG is to improve our methods for evaluating transport
protocols.  To this end, a set of simulation (or other) test suites
will be developed."

This makes no mention of the earlier goal of "a survey of models used
in simulations, analysis, and experiments for the evaluation of
transport protocols".  I don't think anyone is pushing to write a
survey, so I don't think that needs to be mentioned.

Cheers,
Lachlan (TMRG chair)

--
Lachlan Andrew  Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures (CAIA)
Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne, Australia
<http://caia.swin.edu.au/cv/landrew>
Ph +61 3 9214 4837

---

From: Larry Dunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 07:39:28 -0500

Lachlan,
Sounds sensible to me,
as long as there's a suitable glass-display-case at Swinburn
in which to enshrine your TMRG-chair-hat. ;-)

Larry
--

On Sep 13, 2011, at 9:57 PM, Lachlan Andrew wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> tmrg mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/tmrg

---

From: Lars Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 16:48:30 +0300

Hi,

as discussed, sounds good to me. Please let me know when to make this change to the charter.

Lars

---

From: Michael Welzl <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 15:54:57 +0200

Fine with me (as long as noone's going to hold us liable if the test 
suite work gets stuck again.... I hope it won't  :-)  )

Cheers,
Michael