Subject: Information on Japan

From: Andrew Drapp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 15:40:48 +0900

Meeting information:
Date: Nov. 9 - 11
Location: Hitachi Headquarters, Ochanomizu, Tokyo Japan.

We have not finalized the location of the IOTP WG meeting in Tokyo yet.
Most likely we will host the meeting at the Hitachi Headquarters in
Ochanomizu (downtown Tokyo).  There is a possibility (based on room
availability, number of attendees, etc) that we may host the meeting in
Kawasaki or Yokoham (both in the Tokyo Metropolitan Area).  The
information contained here assumes that the meeting will be held at the
Hitachi HQ.  Do not reserve rooms until it is decided that the meeting 
will
be held, and where the meeting will be hosted.

Travel to Hotels from the Airport:
Narita Airport is actually quite some distance from Tokyo.  It is 
approximately
one to two hours away from Tokyo.  You should *NOT* take a taxi directly
from the airport your hotel.  It would be about a $200+ fare.  The following 
are
the best ways to get to Ochanomizu from Narita:

1. Easy Way
Take the Narita Express (N'EX) to Tokyo Station.  The N'EX takes a little 
under
an hour, and costs about 3,500yen.  First class seats (ask for a "Green 
Seat")
are available for about 5,500yen.  Once you get to Tokyo, exit the station 
and
take a taxi to the hotel.  The taxi fair should be about 2000yen.  Chances 
are the
driver will not speak English.  If you write the name of the Hotel, and its 

address on a piece of paper (in English), it will make things easier for 
driver.
Many companies give cards to visiting foreigners, which basically say in
Japanese, "If you find this lost foreigner, please return him to XYZ."  And 
then
proceeds to give directions to XYZ in Japanese.  We won't need those, will 
we?

2.  Medium Priced - convenient way
Take the N'EX to Tokyo Station.  Again the price is about 3,500yen. 
 Transfer
to the JR Chuo-line.  (JR, Japan Railway, lines are basically above ground 
train
lines.  The subways are under different ownership.  Many larger stations 
have
access to both JR lines and subway lines.  In most cases you cannot access
one from the other.  In Tokyo most train signs are in English and Japanese, 
so
it should be easy to follow the signs.  Furthermore, the N'EX is JR, so if 
you
don't wonder off, the Chuo-sen should be fairly close.)  The Chuo-line is 
the first
or the second track.  All of the signs for the Chuo-line should be in 
Orange,
and the train will probably have an orange line down the side of it.  Most 
of the
trains and subways are color coded like this.  However, only foreigners 
who
speak no Japanese actually refer to a train line as the  "Orange Line", etc. 
 Ochanomizu is two stops from Tokyo.  Ticket price is 130yen.  I will repost 
this
information and directions from the station to Hitachi HQ, and various 
hotels
after the meeting is finalized.

Hotel Information:
During rush hour in Tokyo, traffic barely moves, so it is best to plan on 
using
either the trains, subways, or walking.  That, or leave lots of extra time 
to get
to your destination.

The best (in terms of location and price) hotel is the Jyuraku Hotel.
This hotel is only a short walk from the Hitachi building.  It is 
classified
as a "business hotel" so don't five star quality.  For more information,
contact:

TEL: +81-3-3251-7222
FAX: +81-3-3251-7447

For those of you with a larger expense account, the following two hotels 
are
probably considered the best in Tokyo, and are within half an hour of the
Hitachi head office by public transportation.

The Imperial Hotel - http://www.imperialhotel.co.jp/english/menu.html
The New Otani Hotel - http://www.newotani.co.jp/tokyo/en

Recommended Tourist Spots in Tokyo:
Akihabara:  Akihabara is also known as "Electric Town".  This is basically 
street
after street of stores selling electronic items.  Everything from Christmas 
lights
to Computers.  And, it is fairly cheap, and prices are not fixed.
Asakusa:  A nice temple area in Tokyo.  Lots of shops selling nice little 
trinkets
that make good gifts.
Yurakucho:  A row of yakitori (chicken on a stick) vendors/bars.  Quite an 
experience.
Tsukiji:  Fish Market.  Where the fisherman sell their catches.  The fish 
market is
only open from 6am till about 8am, so get there early.  But, it is also 
reputed to
be the best place in Japan for Sushi.
Ginza:  The main fashion/shopping district in Japan.  One corner in this 
central
area has the most expensive piece of realestate on planet.  (Sometimes a 
spot
in HK is more expensive, depending on exchange rates.)  Plus, it has the 
most
expensive place to put a billboard add.

I am having a hard time thinking of good spots to visit.  After living here 
for
three years, my favorite spots to visit in Tokyo are a couple of Mexican
restaurants, and some bars that serve Belgian Ale.  I don't actually look 
for
the "Japanese Experience" much any more.

Recommended Tourist Spots outside of Tokyo:
Kyoto:  The old capital.  Lots of old temples and such.
Nara:  More temples.
Isei: More temples, but also pearls and pearl divers.
Nagoya:  Best chicken wings on the planet.  Hey, it's why I stop there. 
:-)

Of course there are others.

A good page to check on information about Japan is, the government
sponsored travel information page at:

http://www.jnto.go.jp/

One important thing to consider, if you are going to travel around Japan, 
you
should buy a JR Rail Pass.  It will allow you to ride the Shinkansen 
(Bullet
Trains) for free.  Shinkansen tickets are expensive (almost exactly the 
same
as an airline ticket over the same route) so this can save you a lot of 
money.
It is only available for purchase OUTSIDE of Japan, so you need to buy it 
in
your home country before you get here.  There is more information on the
Rail Pass at the above mentioned travel page.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Andrew Drapp

--
Andrew Drapp
[email-masked]
Hitachi Systems Development Laboratory
1099 Ozenji, Asao, Kawasaki, 215-0014 JAPAN
TEL:+81-44-966-9111   FAX:+81-44-966-1796
Fingerprint: 84D8 3D19 018E 9385 6581  0081 C89C D2AD F06A 565F

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message addressed to: [email-masked]
Archive available at: http://www.elistx.com/archives/ietf-trade/
To (un)subscribe send a message with "subscribe" or "unsubscribe" in the
body to: [email-masked]