Subject: XML Messaging

From: David Burdett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 16:38:08 -0800

I just want to let everyone know that I've submitted the first draft of a
"requirements" paper for XML Messaging to the Internet drafts editor. I
guess this is likely to be published sometime early next week.

The objective of XML Messaging as stated in the paper to provide a "generic
approach to the reliable, resilient, secure, tamper resistant, authenticated
exchange of XML or other electronic documents over insecure, unreliable
transport mechanisms".

In thinking about XML Messaging I can see significant benefit in splitting
the specification up into several different parts. So far I have identified
the following in addition to a "requirements" specification:
*	Common XML Message Elements
*	Document Exchange and Transactions
*	Reliable Messaging
*	Secure Messaging
*	Document Choreography Definitions
*	Common Document Exchanges
*	Transport Protocol Supplements

I think that the more we people we can get working on these the better.

Finally this is a **first** draft and realize that there is a **lot** of
discussion and thought required to make an XML Messaging standard real.

I look forward to working with you all.

Regards

David

Advanced Technology, CommerceOne
1600 Riviera Ave, Suite 200, Walnut Creek, CA 94596, USA
Tel: +1 (925) 941 4422 or +1 (650) 623 2888; 
mailto:[email-masked]; Web: http://www.commerceone.com