Subject: [tram] Alexey Melnikov's Discuss on draft-ietf-tram-turn-server-discovery-09: (with DISCUSS)

From: "Alexey Melnikov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 08:41:13 -0700

Alexey Melnikov has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-tram-turn-server-discovery-09: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tram-turn-server-discovery/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

In Section 9:

o  For certificate-based authentication, a pre-populated trust anchor
      store [RFC6024] allows a TURN client to perform path validation
      for the server certificate obtained during the (D)TLS handshake.

      If the client used a domain name to discover the TURN server, that
      domain name also provides a mechanism for validation of the TURN
      server.  The client MUST use the rules and guidelines given in
      section 6 of [RFC6125] to validate the TURN server identity.

I am glad that you are referencing RFC 6125, but unfortunately you don't
provide enough details. Please add details as specified in Section 3 of
RFC 6125 to your document.

---

From: "Tirumaleswar Reddy (tireddy)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 03:48:31 +0000

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alexey Melnikov [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 9:11 PM
> To: The IESG <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]; Simon Perreault
> <[email-masked]>; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
> [email-masked]
> Subject: Alexey Melnikov's Discuss on draft-ietf-tram-turn-server-discovery-
> 09: (with DISCUSS)
> 
> When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all email
> addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this introductory
> paragraph, however.)
> 
> 
> provide enough details. Please add details as specified in Section 3 of RFC
> 6125 to your document.

Sure, will add the following lines:
Certification authorities that issue TURN server certificates SHOULD support the DNS-ID and SRV-ID identifier types. TURN service providers SHOULD include the DNS-ID and SRV-ID identifier types in certificate requests.

-Tiru