Subject: [tram] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tram-turnbis-25.txt> (Traversal Using Relays around NAT (TURN): Relay Extensions to Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 07:36:01 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the TURN Revised and Modernized WG
(tram) to consider the following document: - 'Traversal Using Relays around
NAT (TURN): Relay Extensions to Session
   Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN)'
  <draft-ietf-tram-turnbis-25.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2019-05-28. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   If a host is located behind a NAT, then in certain situations it can
   be impossible for that host to communicate directly with other hosts
   (peers).  In these situations, it is necessary for the host to use
   the services of an intermediate node that acts as a communication
   relay.  This specification defines a protocol, called TURN (Traversal
   Using Relays around NAT), that allows the host to control the
   operation of the relay and to exchange packets with its peers using
   the relay.  TURN differs from some other relay control protocols in
   that it allows a client to communicate with multiple peers using a
   single relay address.

   The TURN protocol was designed to be used as part of the ICE
   (Interactive Connectivity Establishment) approach to NAT traversal,
   though it also can be used without ICE.

   This document obsoletes RFC 5766 and RFC 6156.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tram-turnbis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tram-turnbis/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.