Subject: [tram] Protocol Action: 'Traversal Using Relays around NAT (TURN): Relay Extensions to Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-tram-turnbis-29.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2019 07:03:04 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Traversal Using Relays around NAT (TURN): Relay Extensions to Session
   Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN)'
  (draft-ietf-tram-turnbis-29.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the TURN Revised and Modernized Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Mirja Kühlewind and Magnus Westerlund.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tram-turnbis/

Technical Summary

  This document updates the definition of Traversal Using Relays around NAT
  (TURN), RFC5766, a protocol that allows the host to control the operation of
  the relay and to exchange packets with its peers using the relay. The
  updates improve protocol support for IPv6 and DTLS, adds support for
  receiving ICMP packets, and updates PMTUD. The new revision also improves
  document clarity regarding tunnel amplification attacks and packet
  translation.

Working Group Summary

  This document represents one of the core milestones for the TRAM working
  group and as such has undergone significant discussion, review, and
  revision.  There has been no significant controversy of note in the updates
  to this document. This document's dependence upon some other documents, most
  notably updates to Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN)
  I-D.ietf-tram-stunbis, have led to delay in this document's completion, but
  have not increased the difficulty of coming to consensus on this document's
  contents.

Document Quality

  This draft has continuously been reviewed by many different people
  throughout its history. The most significant updates have been the subject
  of discussion in TRAM WG meetings throughout the documents lifetime.

  Comprehensive reviews of the full set of updates have been done by two
  active WG members. This review includes coverage for consistency with the
  related stunbis document. All of the review feedback has been addressed by
  the authors.

Personnel

  Document Shepherd: Brandon Williams
  Responsible Area Director: Magnus Westerlund