Subject: [rbridge] TTL only - was RE: New fields in shim header?

From: sgai at nuovasystems.com (Silvano Gai)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 08:04:31 -0700

Caitlin,

....
 
> 
> For the same reason Bernard Aboba cited on wireless. An set of
> RBridges can distribute the new location information more
> efficiently than existing bridges. 

When a VM move the first thing it does is an ARP, i.e. it sends a
broadcast packet.

In IEEE 802.1D this broadcast propagates on the VLAN and updates the
filtering databases (the new location is learnt).

In TRILL this broadcast propagate on the VLAN, but the new location is
not learnt inside the TRILL cloud, it is only learnt on the ingress
port. The learning in ingress causes the new location to be distributed
through ISIS. Each RBridge needs to compute a new forwarding table and
to download it to HW.

I doubt that in this aspect TRILL is more efficient that .1D, or am I
missing something?

-- Silvano

---

From: touch at ISI.EDU (Joe Touch)
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:07:43 -0700

> When a VM move the first thing it does is an ARP, i.e. it sends a
...
> I doubt that in this aspect TRILL is more efficient that .1D, or am I

There's no rule to force an ARP upon move, but that would affect all 802
nets, including TRILL ones, equally badly.

Joe

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 250 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
Url : http://mailman.postel.org/pipermail/rbridge/attachments/20061019/b63586c7/signature.bin