Subject: [rbridge] Use of 802.1ah Encaps

From: Eric.Gray at marconi.com (Gray, Eric)
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 08:48:15 -0500

Joe/Ali,

	It is not as simple as this.

	The IETF has already established a precedent for Ethernet
encapsulation of SHIM-encapsulated Ethernet.  It's only trying
to see this as a single encapsulation, that causes people to
conclude we are inventing a new form of Ethernet encapsulation.

	Other than inappropriate "designing committee" discussion
at the last IETF meeting, we have not been attempting to design
any new Ethernet encapsulation.  And I believe we should safely
conclude, at this point, that the discussion that took place on
this topic at the TRILL meeting last month can be closed and
considered to have been completely unproductive.

	Big surprise...

--
Eric

> -----Original Message-----
> From: rbridge-bounces at postel.org 
> [mailto:rbridge-bounces at postel.org] On Behalf Of Joe Touch
> Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 10:23 PM
> To: Ali Sajassi (sajassi)
> Cc: Developing a hybrid router/bridge.
> Subject: Re: [rbridge] Use of 802.1ah Encaps
> 
> _______________________________________________
> rbridge mailing list
> rbridge at postel.org
> http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge
>