Subject: [rbridge] Use of 802.1ah Encaps

From: sajassi at cisco.com (Ali Sajassi (sajassi))
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 11:25:54 -0800

> 
> Can you - or anyone with easy access to the specs - please 
> post an explicit description of 802.1ah header and fields?

I will ask Tony (802.1 chair) to make avail to TRILL WG a copy of .1ah.

-Ali

> Thanks,
> Joe

---

From: touch at ISI.EDU (Joe Touch)
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2006 18:52:33 -0800

I'd really rather someone just posted the header / fields, rather than a
large document in which that information is buried, if possible ;-)

Joe

-- 
----------------------------------------
Joe Touch
Sr. Network Engineer, USAF TSAT Space Segment

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 250 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
Url : http://mailman.postel.org/pipermail/rbridge/attachments/20061206/e7fe113e/signature.bin

---

From: dwfedyk at nortel.com (Don Fedyk)
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 08:28:30 -0500

Hi 

This is the Provider Backbone Header Format reproduced from one of the
802.1ah documents.  When I said this is similar to the Trill header this
is the version I mentioned.  I converted to textographics by hand so I
hope I got it right. I put field designators in [] inside the picture
for fear they would get wrapped. The encapsulated frame starts after the
I-TAG I-SID.

    |      1        |       2       |       3       |       4       |  
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 -2 |                               |                               |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+                               +
  2 |                Backbone Destination Address         [B-DA]    |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
  6 |                Backbone Source Address              [B-SA]    |
    +                               +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 10 |                               |   .1ad Ethertype    [B-TAG]   |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
 14 |  .1ad B-TAG TCI/VID           |   .1ah Ethertype    [   ]     |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-[ I ]-+-+-+
 18 |               .1ah I-TAG TCI/SID                    [ - ]     |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-[ T ]-+-+-+
 22 |                Customer Destination Address         [ A ]     |
    +                               +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-[ G ]-+-+-+
 26 |                               |                     [   ]     |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+                     [   ]     +
 30 |                Customer Source Address              [   ]     |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-[   ]-+-+-+
 34 |  Encap Ethertype              |                     [   ]
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

                                .1ah I-TAG TCI
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
    | P/DE  |R1 |R2 |                     I-SID                     |
    +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

    P/DE 3 Bits Priority 1 bit Drop Eligible
    R1 Res1
    R2 Res2

a) priority - This 3 bit field carries the customer priority (I-PCP)
associated
with this frame. The provider network operates on the priority
associated with
the B-TAG.  

b) drop_eligible - This 1 bit field carries the customer drop
eligibility
(I-DEI) associated with this frame. The provider network operates on the
drop
eligibility associated with the B-TAG.  

c) res1 - This 2 bit field is used for any future format variations. The
res2
field is zero on transmit and is ignored on receipt. 

d) res2 - This 2 bit field is used for any future format variations. The
res1
field is zero on transmit and if set on reception the frame is
discarded.  

e) I-SID - This 24 bit field carries the service instance identifier
associated
with this frame.  

f) encapsulated C-DA - This field carries the 48 bit Destination MAC
Address
for an encapsulated Ethernet frame.  

g) encapsulated C-SA - This field carries the 48 bit Source MAC Address
for an
encapsulated Ethernet frame.  

Regards,
Don

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Joe Touch [mailto:touch at ISI.EDU] 
> Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 9:53 PM
> To: Ali Sajassi (sajassi)
> Cc: Fedyk, Don (BL60:1A00); Gray, Eric; Developing a hybrid 
> router/bridge.
> Subject: Re: [rbridge] Use of 802.1ah Encaps
> 
> I'd really rather someone just posted the header / fields, 
> rather than a large document in which that information is 
> buried, if possible ;-)
> 
> Joe
> 
> >> Can you - or anyone with easy access to the specs - please post an 
> >> explicit description of 802.1ah header and fields?
> >