Subject: [rbridge] IS-IS Consensus Call, Routing Requirements Document

From: erik.nordmark at sun.com (Erik Nordmark)
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 09:05:35 -0700

There hasn't been any objection to this, thus we declare WG consensus for
  - Selecting IS-IS is the routing protocol to be used by TRILL
  - Moving the key points from the Routing Requirements into the 
Architecture document, and removing the Routing Requirements document 
from our set of milestones.

    Erik & Donald

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [rbridge] IS-IS Consensus Call, Routing Requirements Document
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 12:52:14 -0400
From: Eastlake III Donald-LDE008 <Donald.Eastlake at motorola.com>
To: Rbridge at postel.org

It appears that there has been some change in the IESG position on the
selection of a link state routing protocol for TRILL. Since we have been
working on the TRILL protocol specification for some time and no
reasonable alternative has appeared, if there is a TRILL working group
consensus for IS-IS, we expect that this will satisfy the IESG. As a
consequence, the Routing Requirements document, which was originally
requested by the IESG as a basis for deciding on the routing protocol,
would no longer be necessary after a selection of IS-IS. This document,
in fact, ran into a lot of opposition in the IESG, not because of what
it says about routing requirements, but mostly because it was somehow
misinterpreted as a TRILL requirements document. We would expect that,
after selection of IS-IS, the key points of the Routing Requirements
document would be merged into the Architecture document and no longer be
a separate deliverable.

The discussion in the working group has given the impression that there
is a consensus for IS-IS. In fact, it may come as a surprise to some
people that it has not yet been officially selected. Unless significant
opposition appears, we will judge that IS-IS is the consensus.

Thanks,
Erik and Donald

_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
rbridge at postel.org
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge