Subject: [rbridge] Last Consensus Confirmations from Vancouver Meeting

From: "Eastlake III Donald-LDE008" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 20:32:53 -0500

There were two consensuses in the TRILL meeting in Vancouver that were
posted (perhaps not too articulately) to this list for verification and
are pasted at the end of this message. There has been discussion of
these topics on the list and the overall consensus of the working group
is that (1) there should be a way in TRILL to configure an Rbridge port
such that end-station/native frames are not sent on that port and any
received are discarded and (2) there should not be a way in TRILL to
configure an Rbridge port such that it uses a global fixed source and
destination MAC address as being a port to a point-to-point link to
another Rbridge.

Donald & Erik

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Eastlake III Donald-LDE008
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2008 1:34 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [rbridge] Consensus Check: Configure ports to disable end
station traffic

This is a check via the mailing list to confirm or refute an apparent
consensus at the Vancouver meeting taken from the minutes of that
meeting:

           Currently broadcast, unknown unicast, and
      non-IP-derived multicast frames are output to all links. This is
      wasteful if there are no end stations on the link. Provide that
      a port can be configured so as to be disabled for end station
      traffic.

If no particular controversy arises over this in the next three weeks,
We will declare it to be the working group consensus.

Thanks,
Donald & Erik

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Eastlake III Donald-LDE008
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 11:27 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [rbridge] Consensus Check: Against P2P Fixed Addresses Proposal

This is a check via the mailing list to confirm or refute an apparent
consensus at the Vancouver meeting taken from the minutes of that
meeting:

		Against the proposal presented at IETF-70
      for p2p link configuration permitting a fixed source and
      destination address.

If no particular controversy arises over this in the next three weeks,
We will declare it to be the working group consensus.

Thanks,
Donald & Erik

====================================================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd      +1-508-786-7554 (work)
 Motorola Laboratories
 111 Locke Drive
 Marlborough, MA 01752 USA
 [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 21:28:09 -0800

That was my understanding on both points.

Radia