Subject: [rbridge] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-arch-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 17:30:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The Architecture of an RBridge Solution to TRILL
	Author(s)	: E. Gray, J. Touch, R. Perlman
	Filename	: draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-arch-05.txt,.pdf
	Pages		: 36
	Date		: 2008-2-25
	
RBridges are link layer (L2) devices that use a routing protocol 
as a control plane. This combines several of the benefits of the 
link layer with those of the network layer. For example RBridges 
use existing link state routing, without necessarily requiring 
configuration, to improve aggregate throughput, for RBridge to 
RBridge traffic. RBridges also may support IP multicast and IP 
address resolution optimizations. They are intended to be 
applicable to L2 network sizes similar to those of conventional 
bridges and are intended to be backward compatible with those 
bridges as both ingress/egress and transit. They also support 
VLANs (although this generally requires configuration) while 
otherwise attempting to retain as much 'plug and play' as is 
already available in existing bridges. This document proposes an 
architecture for RBridge systems as a solution to the TRILL 
problem, defines terminology, and describes basic components and 
desired behavior. One (or more) separate documents will specify 
protocols and mechanisms that satisfy the architecture presented 
herein.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-arch-05.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-arch-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge