Subject: [rbridge] What to do about VLAN mapping

From: "Eastlake III Donald-LDE008" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 23:28:48 -0400

Hi,

We have decided (see below) that the outer VLAN ID on TRILL IS-IS Hellos
will be included inside the Hello and they will be compared on receipt
of the Hello to test for VLAN mapping. However, at the Philadelphia
meeting, decided what to do when VLAN mapping was detected was deferred
to the mailing list. Something has to be done since if, on a bridged
LAN, VLAN-x where an Rbridge is attached is being mapped to VLAN-y where
an Rbridge is attached, if they are respective appointed forwarders for
VLAN x and y, you have a loop.

Two possibilities that were mentioned at the Philadelphia meeting were
approximately as follows:

(1) An Rbridge receiving a Hello on a port that show VLAN-x being mapped
to VLAN-y should report this to the DRB on that link. The DRB should
assure that there is a forwarder appointed for at most one of VLAN-x and
VLAN-y on that link. 

(2) An Rbridge receiving a Hello on a port that shows VLAN-x being
mapped to VLAN-y should disable service to both VLANs on that port. Part
of the idea with this possibility was to cause a hard failure so the
problem would be noticed and the bridge configurations fixed.

Thanks,
Donald

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Eastlake III Donald-LDE008
Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 11:21 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [rbridge] Consensus Confirmed: Test for VLAN mapping

The following consensus has been confirmed.

Donald

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Eastlake III Donald-LDE008
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2008 5:39 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [rbridge] Consensus Check: Test for VLAN mapping

This is a check via the mailing list to confirm or refute an apparent
consensus at the Philadelphia meeting:

******* The Outer VLAN ID will be duplicated in a TLV inside TRILL IS-IS
Hellos to test for VLAN mapping.

If no particular controversy arises over this in the next two weeks,
We will declare it to be the working group consensus.

Thanks,
Donald & Erik

_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge