Subject: [rbridge] Call for agenda items for Prague

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 09:28:00 -0800

Please let me and Donald (or the list) know if you have agenda items for 
Prague.

    Erik

_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge

---

From: Mingui Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 12:02:06 +0800

Dear Erik,

I'd like to present a new draft on the meeting in Prague. The information of
this draft is given below. 

A new version of I-D, draft-zhang-trill-vlan-assign-00.txt has been
successfully submitted by Mingui Zhang and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-zhang-trill-vlan-assign
Revision:	 00
Title:		 Adaptive VLAN Assignment for Data Center RBridges
Creation_date:	 2011-03-07
WG ID:		 Independent Submission
Number_of_pages: 13

Abstract:
When several RBridges are multi-accessed to a LAN link, each of them can act
as the packet forwarder for the hosts attached to this link. One of the
RBridges will be elected as the Designated RBridge (DRB) which is
responsible to choose the Appointed Forwarder (AF) for each VLAN appearing
on this LAN link. If the DRB casually assign a VLAN to an RBridge as the
Appointed Forwarder without considering the number of the MAC addresses and
traffic load of this VLAN, it may overload some of the RBridges while leave
other RBridges lightly loaded. This unbalanced assignment issue reduces the
scalability of a TRILL network and undermines its performance. Therefore,
the TRILL DRB should choose Appointed Forwarders taking their load into
consideration. The goal of this document is to design a new protocol to
support the adaptive VLAN assignment (or Appointed Forwarder selection)
based on the forwarders' reporting of their usage of MAC tables and
available bandwidth.

Best Regards,
--
mingui

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Erik Nordmark
> Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 1:28 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [rbridge] Call for agenda items for Prague
> 
> 
> Please let me and Donald (or the list) know if you have 
> agenda items for Prague.
> 
>     Erik
>