Subject: [rbridge] FYI: liaisons between the IESG and IEEE 802.1

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 04:19:53 -0700

The IESG sent a liaison to IEEE 802.1. See

https://datatracker.ietf.org/documents/LIAISON/file1206.txt

IEEE 802.1 sent a response. See
https://datatracker.ietf.org/documents/LIAISON/file1218.pdf

My understanding is that the IESG is considering the liasion response.

    Erik

_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 04:45:43 -0700

Hi, Eric, et al.,

If our extensions are specific to the different mechanisms in TRILL, 
they should not interfere with similar mechanisms available in 802.1 -- 
in fact, they provide added value by supporting those mechanisms in the 
context of IS-IS routing, IMO.

I have always understood whether this is the case by considering an 
entire TRILL campus as emulating a single 802.1 device - as an acid 
test, if not as an architectural goal. I raised that issue early in the 
TRILL architecture discussions, and it was dismissed, but it might be 
useful to consider it - even as a thought experiment - for the issues 
between the IETF and IEEE raised in the exchange noted below, IMO.

Joe