Subject: [rbridge] FW: New Version Notification for draft-zhang-trill-vlan-assign-01.txt

From: "Zhangmingui, (Mingui)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 01:45:05 +0000

A new version of I-D, draft-zhang-trill-vlan-assign-01.txt has been successfully submitted by Mingui Zhang and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-zhang-trill-vlan-assign
Revision:	 01
Title:		 Adaptive VLAN Assignment for Data Center RBridges
Creation date:	 2011-07-11
WG ID:		 Individual Submission
Number of pages: 17

Abstract:
   If RBridges are casually assigned as Appointed Forwarders for VLANs
   without considering the number of MAC addresses and traffic load of
   these VLANs, it may overload some of the RBridges while leave other
   RBridges lightly loaded, which reduces the scalability of a RBridge
   network and undermines its performance.

   There can only be a single appointed forwarder for one VLAN carried
   by a LAN link at the same time, even if this LAN link is attached to
   multiple points of an RBridge campus. This limitation not only wastes
   the available access bandwidth of RBridge campus but also reduces its
   reliability.

   A new protocol is designed in this document to support the adaptive
   VLAN assignment (or Appointed Forwarder selection) based on the
   forwarders&#39; reporting of their usage of MAC tables and available
   bandwidth. Link aggregation is proposed to overcome the single
   forwarder limitation of TRILL.

The IETF Secretariat
_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge