Subject: [rbridge] RFC 6325 on Routing Bridges (RBridges): Base Protocol Specification

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 09:06:10 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6325

        Title:      Routing Bridges (RBridges): Base Protocol 
                    Specification 
        Author:     R. Perlman, D. Eastlake 3rd,
                    D. Dutt, S. Gai,
                    A. Ghanwani
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2011
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      99
        Characters: 243158
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-trill-rbridge-protocol-16.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6325.txt

Routing Bridges (RBridges) provide optimal pair-wise forwarding without
configuration, safe forwarding even during periods of temporary loops, and
support for multipathing of both unicast and multicast traffic.  They achieve
these goals using IS-IS routing and encapsulation of traffic with a
header that includes a hop count.

RBridges are compatible with previous IEEE 802.1 customer bridges as
well as IPv4 and IPv6 routers and end nodes.  They are as invisible to
current IP routers as bridges are and, like routers, they terminate
the bridge spanning tree protocol.

The design supports VLANs and the optimization of the distribution of
multi-destination frames based on VLAN ID and based on IP-derived multicast
groups.  It also allows unicast forwarding tables at transit RBridges
to be sized according to the number of RBridges (rather than the
number of end nodes), which allows their forwarding tables to be
substantially smaller than in conventional customer bridges.
[STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge