Subject: [rbridge] Multiple Nickname support RFC 6325 query..

From: gururam m <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 16:45:11 +0530

Hi,
   I have question related to ingress nickname usage when multiple
nicknames are supported. As per RFC 6325 "section 3.7.2 Ingress RBridge
Nickname" an RBridge should use the same nickname in the ingress field
whenever it encapsulates a frame with any particular Inner.MacSA and
Inner.VLAN value when multiple nicknames are supported.

Let us say if we have 8 nicknames(n1,n2... n8) supported on a RBridge as
per my understanding of the above statement we could use nickname n1 for
all traffic ingressing from VLAN ID 1 to VLAN ID 512 and n2 for all traffic
ingressing from VLAN ID 513  to VLAN ID 1024 and so on and so forth.

Let me know if there any other draft inprogress or any part of the RFC that
mentions a different approach to set the ingress nickname when
encapsulating traffic on RBridge that supports multiple nicknames.

Regards
Ram
_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge

---

From: Radia Perlman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 08:54:34 -0800

Why is it useful to use multiple nicknames for ingressing?  Multiple
nicknames are useful for having multiple trees rooted at the same place,
but I can't think of any reason why using different nicknames when
ingressing frames would be useful.

Radia

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 3:15 AM, gururam m <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Let me know if there any other draft inprogress or any part of the RFC
> that mentions a different approach to set the ingress nickname when