Subject: [rbridge] Query Reg: RBridges: The ESADI Protocol

From: Abhinav Bhatia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 16:50:35 +0530

Hi,

I have queries related to esadi protocol draft
<draft-hu-trill-rbridge-esadi-01.txt>.

1) In the draft : *"In this state, the Holding Timer will be recycled if
the timer is expired or the found neighbor has a higher priority than the
local priority."*

     I could not understand the above line, i think it should  something
like*: "In this state,  the Holding Timer will be recycled every time an
lsp is received with higher priority"*

2) ESADI will only help in fast updates of end station  addresses, It will
not help in the initial learning of macs by RBrides the encapsulation and
decapitation.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks and Regards,
Abhinav
_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 00:43:46 -0500

Hi Abhinav,

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 6:20 AM, Abhinav Bhatia <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 1) In the draft : "In this state, the Holding Timer will be recycled if the
> timer is expired or the found neighbor has a higher priority than the local
> priority."
>
> like: "In this state,  the Holding Timer will be recycled every time an lsp
> is received with higher priority"

Note that this is not yet a WG draft...  As currently described, the
ESADI Holding Timer has to recycle to cause the repeated transmission
of ESADI-LSP number zero until a neighbor is found. Perhaps that
mechanism should be replaced by a VLAN scoped flag bit in the core
TRILL IS-IS instance.

> not help in the initial learning of macs by RBrides the encapsulation and

Yes, leaning from ESADI and learning from the data plane are different
and ESADI does not affect learning from the data plane. I assume data
plane learning is what you refer to as "encapsulation and
decapsulation" -- but it isn't exactly "encapsulation". It is actually
from the receipt of any Ethernet frame with a unicast source address.
However, if other RBridges are participating in ESADI for VLAN-x then,
when an RBridge starts participating in ESADI for VLAN-x, it will
fairly soon get updates with such MAC attachment information for
VLAN-x as other RBridges choose to include in ESADI.

Thanks,
Donald
=============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]