Subject: Re: [rbridge] rbridge Digest, Vol 93, Issue 3

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 20:04:36 +0800

Hi Abhinav

> 1) In the draft : *"In this state, the Holding Timer will be recycled if
> the timer is expired or the found neighbor has a higher priority than 
the
> local priority."*

I think this sentence is some confusing, so I try to give a clearer 
explanation 
of the above line.

The cyclic Holding Timer is mainly used to trigger the DRB election 
process for 
the ESADI instances being in Not-DRB state. If this timer expires, the 
state of 
this ESADI moves from Not-DRB to DRB. In order to fasten the election 
process, 
this timer is started in Initial state. The timer may expire, if so, it 
will also 
be recycled in Initial state.

On an ESADI virtual link, only the ESADI RBridge that has the highest 
priority 
(with IS-IS system ID as ties breaking) is finally elected as DRB. If 
receiving 
an ESADI-LSP number zero from a neighbor with higher priority than the 
local 
priority, the local ESADI instance can not become DRB finally. Therefore, 
recycling this timer by such an ESADI instance can reduce the possibility 
of 
the ESADI instance entering into DRB state if such a neighbor is found. 

>     I could not understand the above line, i think it should  something
> like*: "In this state,  the Holding Timer will be recycled every time an
> lsp is received with higher priority"*

For an ESADI instance in Initial state, it will leave this state and enter 
into 
Not-DRB state as long as it find a valid neighbor by receiving ESADI-LSP. 
So no 
more than one valid LSP number zero can be received by such an ESADI 
instance. 
For an ESADI in Not-DRB state, you are right.

> 2) ESADI will only help in fast updates of end station addresses, It 
will
> not help in the initial learning of macs by RBrides the encapsulation 
and
> decapitation.

Besides fasten update of end station addressed, I think that ESADI can 
also help 
in fasten the initial learning of MACs by RBridges. For example, local 
RBridge RB1 
provides services for local end stations E1 and E2 in VLAN 1, remote 
RBridge RBx 
serves for remote end station Ex in VLAN 1. At first, E1 communicates with 
E2 
through RB1 in VLAN 1, so RB1 learns the MACs of E1 and E2. If ESADI for 
VLAN 1 is 
running on RB1 and RBx, RB1 can tell RBx the MACs addresses of E1 and/or 
E2 with 
the help of ESADI before E1 or E2 communicates with Ex, 

> Thanks and Regards,
> Abhinav

Thanks,
Zhai Hongjun
""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
 Protocol Development Dept.VI, Central R&D Institute, ZTE Corporation
 No. 68, Zijinghua Road, Yuhuatai District, Nanjing, P.R.China, 210012
 
 Zhai Hongjun
 
 Tel: +86-25-52877345
 Email: [email-masked]
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

--------------------------------------------------------
ZTE Information Security Notice: The information contained in this mail is solely property of the sender's organization. This mail communication is confidential. Recipients named above are obligated to maintain secrecy and are not permitted to disclose the contents of this communication to others.
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the originator of the message. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.
This message has been scanned for viruses and Spam by ZTE Anti-Spam system.
_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge