Subject: [rbridge] TRILL to TRILL connectivity

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 12:26:09 +0200

Hi,

IMHO both below draft is in this group charter. Perhaps it's name should 
be changed to satisfy some comments during WG meeting.

10 min.  TRILL Data Center Interconnect, Sam Aldrin
          draft-aldrin-trill-data-center-interconnect-00.txt

Reg point of charter ...

First sentence says:

"The TRILL WG has specified a solution for shortest-path frame
routing in multi-hop IEEE 802.1-compliant Ethernet networks with
arbitrary topologies, using an existing link-state routing protocol
technology and encapsulation with a hop count."

My definition of "arbitrary topology" does not exclude data center 
topologies. What is so special of data center network from any other 
type of network TRILL is "authorized" to run on ?

Regards,
R.

_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge

---

From: Vishwas Manral <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 11:49:09 -0700

Hi Robert,

Arbitrary topology includes all topologies but is not limited to the
2-tier/ 3-tier topology as defined for Data Centers. The differences in DC
topology is because of a symmetric nature of the topology - notice various
proposals where we can do DC routing without actually using a routing
protocol (by using assumptions of topology like a Fat tree etc).

>From our perspective DC interconnect is different in cases because we do
not consolidate everything to one DC for Disaster Recovery. So the
interconnect needs to have a way to isolate faults in one DC from another.
For some purposes it could very well mean, using a different instance of
the protocol for interconnect versus another. It is for that purpose we
have defined a draft that leaves the options out, but allows the
encapsulation of TRILL packets over Layer-3.

Have a look at our draft:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xl-trill-over-wan-00

This is of course the first cut and we want to build it from here.

Thanks,
Vishwas