Subject: [rbridge] Proposed addition to the clear correct draft

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 18:52:08 -0500

Hi,

To bring draft-ietf-trill-clear-correct, currently in WG Last Call,
more closely in alignment with draft-eastlake-isis-rfc6326bis, I
propose to add to the clear-correct draft a small new Section 3.3 as
follows:

3.3 IP Address Based Multicast Pruning

   The TRILL base protocol specification [RFC6325] provides for and
   recommends the pruning of multi-destination frame distribution trees
   based on the location of IP multicast routers and listeners; however,
   multicast listening is identified by derived MAC adddresses as
   communicated in the Group MAC Address sub-TLV [RFC6326bis].

   TRILL Switches MAY communicate multicast listeners and prune
   distribution trees based on the actual IPv4 or IPv6 addresses
   involved. Additional Group Address sub-TLVs are provided in
   [RFC6326bis] to carry this information. A TRILL Switch that is only
   capable of pruning based on derived MAC address SHOULD calculate and
   use such derived MAC addresses from multicast listener IPv4/IPv6
   address information it receives.

Thanks,
Donald
=============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
rbridge mailing list
[email-masked]
http://mailman.postel.org/mailman/listinfo/rbridge