Subject: [trill] Draft Charter Revision

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 22:05:46 -0400

Hi,

A draft Charter revision for the TRILL WG was posted to the WG mailing
list a while ago and presented at the Orlando meeting. Several of the
proposed work items lead to discussion in Orlando. I will post a
separate message for each such item with, in some cases, a proposed
new wording that I believe responds to the comments made.  I have
pasted the current draft with those changes below.

There were no comments at the meeting on work items 1, 5, and 6.

Further comments on any part of the draft charter in the next two
weeks are welcome.

Thanks,
Donald

TRILL Charter Draft April 2013
=================================

The TRILL WG has specified a solution for transparent
multi-destination and unicast shortest-path frame routing in multi-hop
networks with arbitrary topology. End stations, including Layer 3
routers, are connected to TRILL switches through IEEE 802.1-compliant
Ethernet. TRILL switches may be interconnected with multi-access or
point-to-point links of arbitrary technology.

The current work of the working group is around operational support
and additional extensions and optimizations of TRILL for the
properties of the networks on which it is deployed. The TRILL WG may
also produce corrections, clarifications, and updates of existing
TRILL RFCs.

The WG will work on the following items:

(1) Specify the handling of Operations, Administration, and
Maintenance (OAM) in networks using TRILL taking into consideration
existing OAM mechanisms that might apply to TRILL.

(2) Active-Active connection at the edge of a TRILL campus.
(draft-ietf-trill-cmt, draft-hu-trill-pseudonode-nickname)

(3) Development, within the TRILL protocol context, of requirements
and specifications for broadcast/multicast (multi-destination) frame
reduction, for example ARP/ND (Neighbor Discovery) reduction through
use of the TRILL ESADI protocol.
(draft-ietf-trill-directory-framework, draft-ietf-trill-esadi)

(4) Support of TRILL over pseudowires and IP tunnels between
TRILL switches, for example to connect branch office TRILL switches to
a central campus over the Internet. (draft-yong-trill-o-pw).

(5) Support in TRILL for the IS-IS multi-level routing feature to
improve scaling and the multi-topology routing feature to use
different topologies on different classes or types of traffic.

(6) Specification of a reduced TRILL control plane for error isolation
and interconnection between affiliated campuses under common
management.

(7) Analyze the use of IS-IS security in TRILL and determine if any
work is needed to accommodate any specific TRILL control or data
planes security leveraging IS-IS security.

(8) Produce an interoperability / implementation report for TRILL.

The TRILL WG will continue to work with other IETF working groups such
as the ISIS WG, and SDO groups such as IEEE 802.1 through established
inter-WG relationships and SDO liaison processes, including early and
WG last call review by the ISIS WG of documents extending IS-IS
routing.