Subject: [trill] Comments on draft-ietf-trill-directory-assist-mechanisms-00

From: hongjun ZHAI <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 22:01:13 +0800

Hi Authors,

I read draft-ietf-trill-directory-assist-mechanisms-00 and have some
comments on it.

1. In the QUERY Record, there is a AFN (Address Family Number) field. But I
am not able to find the definition of the available values of this field.
Are the values for AFN  defined in another document? If so, please give a
reference to the document when specifying the AFN field. Otherwise, please
define the available values for this field.

2. In Section 8.1, there is an extension to the ESADI-Parameter TLV. In
this TLV, the Type and Length fields should occupy 2 bytes respectively
rather than 1 byte, according the current ESADI draft.

3. There is a sentence on the bottom of Page 28, as follows

     "It handled by doing a directory lookup on the destination
      "hardware" address provided in hops of finding a mapping to the
      desired "protocol" address".

  where  "in hops of" should be "in hopes of"?

Thanks,
Hongjun Zhai
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yuhuatai District, Nanjing City, People's Republic of China
Mobile: +086-025-5287-7345
Email: [email-masked]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 12:25:52 -0500

Hi Hongjun,

> I read draft-ietf-trill-directory-assist-mechanisms-00 and have some

Thanks for reviewing the draft.

> define the available values for this field.

Ahh, this is an interesting case...

The IANA Registry for Address Family Numbers is at
http://www.iana.org/assignments/address-family-numbers/
For references, it gives RFC 2453 and RFC 2858. Interestingly, those
RFCs talk about 16-bit "Address Family Identifiers", which are AFNs,
but those RFCs never use the term AFN or "Address Family Number".
Apparently, at least by the time of RFC2858, Jon Postel had already
created a Registry called "Address Family Number" -- for example see
RFC 1700 -- which has been obsoleted.

So, I'm not completely sure what the best reference would be. I
suppose just referencing the IANA registry might be best.

> 2. In Section 8.1, there is an extension to the ESADI-Parameter TLV. In this
> TLV, the Type and Length fields should occupy 2 bytes respectively rather
> than 1 byte, according the current ESADI draft.

Yes, thanks for catching that. You are correct.

>   where  "in hops of" should be "in hopes of"?

Yes, indeed, "hops" in that sentence should be "hopes".

Thanks,
Donald
=============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]