Subject: [trill] Fwd: Protocol Action: 'Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (TRILL) Use of IS-IS' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-isis-rfc6326bis-03.txt)

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 09:51:24 -0500

Approval of draft-ietf-isis-rfc6326bis (TRILL use of IS-IS) has been
announced as below.

Thanks,
Donald
=============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Feb 3, 2014 at 9:34 AM
Subject: Protocol Action: 'Transparent Interconnection of Lots of
Links (TRILL) Use of IS-IS' to Proposed Standard
(draft-ietf-isis-rfc6326bis-03.txt)
To: IETF-Announce <[email-masked]>
Cc: isis chair <[email-masked]>, isis mailing list
<[email-masked]>, RFC Editor <[email-masked]>

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (TRILL) Use of IS-IS'
  (draft-ietf-isis-rfc6326bis-03.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IS-IS for IP Internets Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Adrian Farrel and Stewart Bryant.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-isis-rfc6326bis/

Technical Summary

   The IETF TRILL (Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links)
   protocol provides optimal pair-wise data frame forwarding without
   configuration in multi-hop networks with arbitrary topology and link
   technology, and support for multipathing of both unicast and
   multicast traffic.

   This document, in conjunction with RFC 6165, specifies the data
   formats and code points for the IS-IS [ISO-10589] extensions to
   support TRILL. It obsoletes RFC 6326, which corresponded to the
   base TRILL protocol as the TRILL Working Group passed it up to the
   IESG in 2009. There has been substantial development of TRILL since
   them. The changes from RFC 6326 are briefly summarized in the
   Introduction and a full list is given in Section 7.

Working Group Summary:

   The need for an IPR disclosure was found after the first Working
   Group Last Call resulting in a second Working Group Last Call. As a
   non-controversial update extending a previous RFC, there was
   relatively little discussion.

   Owing to some fumbles by the ISIS chairs (honeymoon, NomCom,
   hospitalisation) the publication request for this document got
   delayed for a long time. This has nothing to do with the quality of the
   document and we are trying to play catch-up now.

Document Quality:

   The document is of good quality. The vast majority of the code
   points and code points specified in this document are in use in
   shipping TRILL or similar control plane code from multiple
   equipment manufacturers. The predecessor document RFC 6326 was
   thoroughly review by Mike Shand and this revision is based on
   RFC 6326 incorporating the results of that review.

   The document is on the telechat agenda on the day after the last call
   ends. A very minor revision is expected to fix a few nits, but currently
   no issues of substance have been raised. If a more significant
   revision is needed, the document will be moved to a later telechat.

Personnel:

  Document Shepherd: Adrian Farrel
  Responsible Area Director: Adrian Farrel