Subject: [trill] Comment on draft-yizhou-trill-arp-optimization

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 22:27:57 -0500

Hi,

I think Section 3.1 could be improved. The current text and a
suggested replacement are as follows:

OLD

3.1 Get Sender's IP/MAC Mapping Information for Non-zero IP

   If the sender's MAC has not been saved by the ingress RBridge before,
   populate the information of sender's IP/MAC in its ARP table;

   else if the sender's MAC has been saved before but with a different
   IP address mapped, the RBridge should verify if a duplicate IP
   address has already been in use. The RBridge may use different
   strategies to do so, for example, ask an authoritative entity like
   directory servers or encapsulate and unicast the ARP/ND message to
   the location where it believes a duplicate address is in use.

   The ingress RBridge may use the IA APPsub-TLV [IA] with the Local
   flag set in ESADI [RFC7357] to distribute any new or updated IP/MAC
   information obtained in this step. If a push directory server is
   used, such information can be distributed as per [DirMech].

NEW

3.1 Geting Sender IP/MAC Mapping Information for Non-zero IP

   If the sender's IP has not been saved by the ingress RBridge
   before, populate the information of sender's IP/MAC in its ARP
   table;

   else if the sender's IP has been saved before but with a different
   IP to MAC address mapping or a different ingress nickname
   associated with the same IP/MAC pair, the RBridge should verify if
   a duplicate IP address is in use or a host has changed its
   attaching RBridge. The RBridge may use different strategies to do
   so, for example, it could ask an authoritative entity like a
   directory server or it could encapsulate and unicast the ARP/ND
   message to the location where it believes the address is in use.
   The RBridge should update the saved triplet of {IP address, MAC
   address, ingress nickname} based on the verification results.

   The ingress RBridge may use the IA APPsub-TLV [IA] with the Local
   flag set in ESADI [RFC7357] to distribute any new or updated
   triplet of {IP address, MAC address, ingress nickname} information
   obtained in this step. If a push directory server is used, such
   information can be distributed as specified in [DirMech].

Thanks,
Donald
=============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]

---

From: Liyizhou <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 05:37:22 +0000

Thanks for the suggestion, Donald. Will edit it in.

Yizhou

-----Original Message-----
From: trill [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Donald Eastlake
Sent: Friday, February 27, 2015 11:28 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [trill] Comment on draft-yizhou-trill-arp-optimization

Hi,

I think Section 3.1 could be improved. The current text and a suggested replacement are as follows:

OLD

NEW

Thanks,
Donald
=============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA  [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
trill mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/trill