Subject: [trill] WG LC for draft-ietf-trill-ia-appsubtlv-03 - 2 week WG LC (5/29 to 6/12)

From: "Susan Hares" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 08:23:05 -0400

This begins a 2 week WG LC for draft-ietf-trill-ia-appsubtlv-03 (5/29 to
6/12) .  The authors (Donald, Radia, Yizhou) should send a note to the list
on whether they know of any IPR relating to this drasft. 

You can find the document at: 

http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-trill-ia-appsubtlv/

This draft specifies a TRILL IS-IS application sub-TLV that enables the
reporting by a

   TRILL switch of sets of addresses such that all of the addresses in

   each set designate the same interface (port) and the reporting for

   such a set of the TRILL switch by which it is reachable. For example,

   a 48-bit MAC (Media Access Control) address, IPv4 address, and IPv6

   address can be reported as all corresponding to the same interface

   reachable by a particular TRILL switch. Such information could be

   used in some cases to synthesize responses to or by-pass the need for

   the Address Resolution Protocol (ARP), the IPv6 Neighbor Discovery

   (ND) protocol, or the flooding of unknown MAC addresses.

For this draft, please answer the following questions: 

1)      Is this draft ready for WG LC? 

2)      Do you think this address passing mechanism will aid deployments of
TRILL by  

resolving some addressing distribution issues,  

3)      Is there any technical issue with this solution? 

Sue Hares and Jon Hudson

---

From: Linda Dunbar <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 15:04:27 +0000

Support.

Linda

From: trill [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Susan Hares
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2015 7:23 AM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: 'Donald Eastlake'; 'Jon Hudson'
Subject: [trill] WG LC for draft-ietf-trill-ia-appsubtlv-03 - 2 week WG LC (5/29 to 6/12)

This begins a 2 week WG LC for draft-ietf-trill-ia-appsubtlv-03 (5/29 to 6/12) .  The authors (Donald, Radia, Yizhou) should send a note to the list on whether they know of any IPR relating to this drasft.

This draft specifies a TRILL IS-IS application sub-TLV that enables the reporting by a

2)      Do you think this address passing mechanism will aid deployments of TRILL by

Sue Hares and Jon Hudson

---

From: Mingui Zhang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 01:52:41 +0000

Support for WG LC. I think this can be a useful building block for TRILL directory service.

Thanks,
Mingui

From: trill [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Susan Hares
Sent: Friday, May 29, 2015 8:23 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: 'Donald Eastlake'; 'Jon Hudson'
Subject: [trill] WG LC for draft-ietf-trill-ia-appsubtlv-03 - 2 week WG LC (5/29 to 6/12)

Sue Hares and Jon Hudson

---

From: gayle noble <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 22:51:50 -0700

TRILL: Interface Addresses APPsub-TLV
               <draft-eastlake-trill-ia-appsubtlv-03.txt>
errors:

1.   Page 1 abstract and page 3 Introduction  Forth sentence
['use" should be "used"]
(as written)
Such information could be use in some cases to synthesize responses 
to or by-pass the need for the Address Resolution Protocol (ARP), the 
IPv6 Neighbor Discovery (ND) protocol, or the flooding of unknown MAC 
addresses.
(should be)
Such information could be used in some cases to synthesize responses 
to or by-pass the need for the Address Resolution Protocol (ARP), the 
IPv6 Neighbor Discovery (ND) protocol, or the flooding of unknown MAC 
addresses.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2.   page 6 description of L bit
["Both D and L can one in the same" does not make sense. Was this 
supposed to mean "Both D and L can be set to one in the same IA APPsub-TLV. ??]
(as written)
L:      Local flag: If L is one, the APPsub-TLV contains information 
learned ocally by observing ingressed frames. (Both D and L can one 
in the same IA APPsub-TLV.)
(probably should be)
L:      Local flag: If L is one, the APPsub-TLV contains information 
learned locally by observing ingressed frames. (Both D and L can be 
one in the same IA APPsub-TLV.)
(would read better as)
L:      Local flag: If L is one, the APPsub-TLV contains information 
learned locally by observing ingressed frames. (Both D and L can be 
set to one in the same IA APPsub-TLV.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

3.   page 6 description of N bit
["one in a ESADI LSP" should be "one in an ESADI LSP" and "contens" 
should be "contents" ]
(as written)
N:     Notify flag: When a TRILL switch receives a new IA APPsub-TLV 
(one in a ESADI LSP fragment with a higher sequence number or a new 
message of some other type) and the N bit is one, the TRILL switch 
then checks the contens of the APPsub-TLV for IP address to MAC 
address mappings.
(probably should be)
N:     Notify flag: When a TRILL switch receives a new IA APPsub-TLV 
(one in an ESADI LSP fragment with a higher sequence number or a new 
message of some other type) and the N bit is one, the TRILL switch 
then checks the contents of the APPsub-TLV for IP address to MAC 
address mappings.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
4.   page 7 in Template: the fifth sentence (the last one)
["filed" should be "field"]
(as written)
If K is 255, the length of the Template filed is three bytes and the 
values of the second and third byte, considered as an unsigned 
integer in network byte order, are reserved to correspond to future 
specified ordered sets of AFNs.
(should be)
If K is 255, the length of the Template field is three bytes and the 
values of the second and third byte, considered as an unsigned 
integer in network byte order, are reserved to correspond to future 
specified ordered sets of AFNs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

5.   page 12 section 3.4 Topology sub-sub-TLV first sentence
[The last word "give" doesn't make any sense. Should this be "given"?]
(as written)
The presence of this sub-sub-TLV indicates that the interfaces given 
in the IA APPsub-TLV are reachable in the topology give.
(should this be?)
The presence of this sub-sub-TLV indicates that the interfaces given 
in the IA APPsub-TLV are reachable in the topology given.
--------------------------------------------------------

6.   page 15 section 5.1 Additional AFN Number Allocation
["alocated" should be spelt "allocated"]
(as written)
   IANA has alocated AFN numbers as follows:
(should be)
   IANA has allocated AFN numbers as follows:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

7.   page 19 paragraph at the bottom first sentence
[The word "give" doesn't make any sense. Should this be "given"?]
(as written)
    The Fixed Address sub-sub-TLV causes the IPv6/64 value give to be 
treated as if it occurred as a 4th entry inside each of the three 
Address Sets.
(should this be?)
   The Fixed Address sub-sub-TLV causes the IPv6/64 value given to be 
treated as if it occurred as a 4th entry inside each of the three 
Address Sets.
  ============================
  suggestions::

1.   page 6
It was not clear to me if 0 is the highest confidence or 254 is the 
highest confidence. Perhaps, it could explicitly say that confidence 
is described in [RFC6325]. Or maybe add something saying that larger 
values of confidence indicate higher confidence.
------------------------------------------------------------------