Subject: [trill] RFC 7968 on Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links (TRILL): Using Data Labels for Tree Selection for Multi-Destination Data

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 18:39:23 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7968

        Title:      Transparent Interconnection of Lots of 
                    Links (TRILL): Using Data Labels for 
                    Tree Selection for Multi-Destination Data 
        Author:     Y. Li, D. Eastlake 3rd,
                    W. Hao, H. Chen,
                    S. Chatterjee
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2016
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      22
        Characters: 47260
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-trill-tree-selection-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7968

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7968

TRILL (Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links) uses
distribution trees to deliver multi-destination frames.  Multiple
trees can be used by an ingress Routing Bridge (RBridge) for flows,
regardless of the VLAN, Fine-Grained Label (FGL), and/or multicast
group of the flow.  Different ingress RBridges may choose different
distribution trees for TRILL Data packets in the same VLAN, FGL,
and/or multicast group.  To avoid unnecessary link utilization,
distribution trees should be pruned based on one or more of the
following: VLAN, FGL, or multicast destination address.  If any
VLAN, FGL, or multicast group can be sent on any tree, for typical
fast-path hardware, the amount of pruning information is multiplied
by the number of trees, but there is limited hardware capacity for
such pruning information.

This document specifies an optional facility to restrict the TRILL
Data packets sent on particular distribution trees by VLAN, FGL,
and/or multicast groups, thus reducing the total amount of pruning
information so that it can more easily be accommodated by fast-path
hardware.

This document is a product of the Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC