Subject: [trill] Secdir last call review of draft-ietf-trill-centralized-replication-10

From: Joseph Salowey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 13:32:37 -0800

Reviewer: Joseph Salowey
Review result: Has Issues

I have reviewed this document as part of the security directorate's
ongoing effort to review all IETF documents being processed by the
IESG.  These comments were written primarily for the benefit of the
security area directors.  Document editors and WG chairs should treat
these comments just like any other last call comments.

Document is ready with issues.

I think the document has appropriate security considerations.

One issue I see in the document is that in the intro it states:
"The basic idea is that all ingress RBridges send BUM traffic to a centralized
node, which SHOULD be a distribution tree root, using unicast TRILL 
encapsulation." In section 3 it states : "The centralized node MUST be a
distribution tree root."

The MUST and SHOULD seem to be at odds here.

---

From: Donald Eastlake <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 16:12:17 -0500

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for the review, see below.

> The MUST and SHOULD seem to be at odds here.

Indeed, a number of "SHOULD"s were changed in a recent revision to "MUST"s
and it looks like one of the most prominent, in the Abstract, was
overlooked.

Thanks,
Donald (document shepherd)
===============================
 Donald E. Eastlake 3rd   +1-508-333-2270 (cell)
 155 Beaver Street, Milford, MA 01757 USA
 [email-masked]